Fremantle Stuff > Organisations > Gas and Coke Company
The Fremantle Gas and Coke Company was co-founded by James Lilly in 1895.
This is the building in Cantonment St which still shows the company name, tho it (the company) is long gone.
Fremantle Gas and Coke Company was a Western Australian company based in Fremantle that was bought out by the Western Australian State Electricity Commission in 1986 - a component event of the WA Inc issues of the time.
It commenced operation in 1885 to power and light Fremantle.
The company had a siding from the Fremantle railway marshalling yard in the early twentieth century.
In 1952 the company constructed a new gas producer. The gasworks' main feature was its gas holding domes, which were removed in the 1980s.
In the 1960s the Fremantle Gas and Coke company served 14,440 customers in a separate market zone from the State Electricity Commission, which provided the rest of the Perth metropolitan area. Wikipedia.
Fremantle Gas and Coke Company offices, late 1880s (FHC #1395) photo taken 1952, location not stated
In 1884 the first money (£100) was voted for street lighting by gas. In those days the advantages of the municipalisation of public services were not realised, and that gave an opportunity to a syndicate promoted by A. Gra. Rosser to obtain from the council permission to light Fremantle with gas. Negotiations resulted in the Fremantle Gas Company securing a monopoly which was not interfered with until the inauguration of the municipal lighting system in 1906. Hitchcock: 93.
Location of these gasometers tba. Cantonment St?
Garry Gillard | New: 10 October, 2016 | Now: 16 November, 2018