Fremantle Stuff > Streets > Cantonment Street
From Market St to Parry St, Cantonment Street (like Adelaide St, to which it is parallel) is three blocks long. The central Wesley church is at the southern end, opposite Atwell Arcade, currently undergoing a transformation. That is only one of several major projects soon to be undertaken in the street, notably the current Woolstores shopping complex between Queen and Goldsborough Streets, and, in the next block, the old wool stores themselves. The Parry St end of that section has already been rebuilt as apartments, and work has begun on the remaining large building.
On the other side of the street, a multi-storey carpark is still bringing in revenue, but not for much longer, as the Adelaide/Point/Cantonment block is to be the site for a Hilton DoubleTree hotel, and all the other buildings, including the Port Cinema, have already been cleared. The new hotel will look over Princess May Park towards Clancys Fish Pub and the Princess May School, which is the last building in the street.
What is now Queen Victoria Street was called Cantonment Road, as it continued the Street presumably to a ... cantonment at the base of Cantonment Hill, but its name was changed in 1892 because of the obvious confusion. A cantonment is a military barracks, so there must have been one such there, tho it's not known exactly where. It seems likely that it used to be roughly where the Army Museum now is, but perhaps nearer to the corner of the present Burt and QV Sts.
CANTONMENT—This street appears on Surveyor-General Roe's very earliest map , Cantonment Road being a continuation thereof and leading to the base of what was at first called Cantonment Hill (the hill on which the Signal Station was built in 1931). Owing to confusion, the name Cantonment Road was changed to Queen Victoria Street in 1892. Letters are extant written from the Cantonment, Fremantle, but apparently nobody at present alive knows of the exact situation of the Cantonment. As the streets were surveyed before 1833 right out to the present junction of the Canning Highway, it would seem to have been somewhere in that locality. Ewers: 220-221.
Garry Gillard | New: 8 October, 2015 | Now: 18 November, 2018