Fremantle Stuff > West End > Pakenham Street
North to south.
Pakenham Street was named after Lt H. Pakenham, of HMS Challenger.
Mouat, Henry and Pakenham Streets are the 'lieutenant streets' (my coinage) being named respectively after the first, second, and third lieutenants on board Captain Fremantle's ship: J.A. Mouat, John Henry, and H. Pakenham.
Pakenham Street at its north end has the open space of Pioneer Park on one side, and, on the other, the building at 49 Phillimore St, the former Robert Harper Building, later known as Jebsens, tho it still has Genesis Travel signage.
The first building with a Pakenham Street address is the 1897 Tolley Bond Store, at no. 1.
Architect: Herbert Nathaniel Davis.
The Tolley sign has been restored above the alleyway, despite their having moved out in 1910.
The New Republic, 3 Pakenham Street.
Until recently this was used by a Commonwealth Government department.
It is now the New Republic tavern, gin distillery and micro brewery.
Tolley's, no. 5 Pakenham. John Gallop, a fruiterer and, later, proprietor of the King’s Theatre, owned the lot in 1880 when there was a dwelling on it. In 1893 he built a warehouse. He owned the property until c. 1898. From 1897 it was occupied by Tolley & Co. as their head office. A second storey was added in c. 1901 and extensions to the north of the building enclosed the laneway leading to the rear. The existing facade was probably built at this time. From 1912 it was owned by Seppelt and Sons Ltd., also wine and spirit merchants.
Vacuum Oil Co., no. 7. Architect: Joseph Allen. A Mrs McCann owned and occupied a house on this site in 1880 and is believed to have extended it to use as a boarding house. She sold it in 1887 to Fay Lawrence who used it until 1904 when the Strelitz brothers purchased it. In 1907 they erected a two-storey office building for the Vacuum Oil Co. In the same year they bought other lots to expand their warehouse premises, which extended through to Henry Street. Food manufacturers Patterson & Co. bought the Vacuum Oil Co. in 1916 and sold the property to Elder Smith & Co. in 1950. Seppelts bought it in 1968 for storage of wine and spirits.
Strelitz/Pakenham, no. 9. M. Higham and Sons owned a dwelling on the site in 1880. It was extended in 1887.
In 1904 the Strelitz brothers constructed a new building on the site.
Since then it has had various owners, including the Fremantle Provedoring/Shipstores until the 1980s.
Architects: Allen and Nicholas (1929). The Lysaght building on the corner of Short St at no. 8, on the corner of Short Street. On this site, in 1858, Charles Alexander Manning had a large building erected, which dominated the town. It was known as Manning's Folly. He had intended it to be a sanatorium for officers of the British Army who had been in India — one of Stirling’s arguments for establishing the colony was that it could serve as a rest and recreation centre for service officers and civil servants in India, but none took advantage of Manning’s venture. Manning, who was Chairman of the Fremantle Town Trust (1859-67), had a private observatory on the roof of the building. He founded the Fremantle Volunteer Defence Force in 1861, and died eight years later. The building was occupied by Wallace Bickley, a businessman, and later by Tolley & Co. In 1928, because of its poor condition, it was condemned and demolished. In 1929 a warehouse was constructed on the site for John Lysaght (Australia Pry Ltd), manufacturers of goods including corrugated iron sheets. Alterations were carried out in 1946 and also in the 1970s. In 2018 this is the 77-apartment building Quest Apartments, and the building you see in the photo has been gutted, and only some of the facade retained.
This was Manning Hall, which stood at what is now the corner of Short and Pakenham Streets, and became known as Manning's Folly.
It was built in 1858 for Charles Alexander Manning, and demolished in 1928.
The Pearlers Hotel, no. 18, on the north-east corner with Leake Street, architect J.H. Eales, was built in 1887. Nine years later it was leased to Swan Brewery Co., which subsequently purchased it. The name appears to have been changed to the Terminus Hotel then. Later again it was Terminus Chambers, used by lawyers. In 1989 it was bought by Homeswest to provide budget accommodation. The building was refurbished to provide thirty-two lodging rooms with a medical centre on the ground floor.
On the opposite corner of Leake St is a warehouse built in 1907 for Thomas Quinlan.
It was recently tenanted by Shipstores, but is now the house of PS Art Space.
The Victoria Coffee Palace at 11 Pakenham St was built in 1895.
A coffee palace was a hotel which did sell not alcoholic beverages.
The building was used as a backpackers hostel until 2015 when it changed hands.
Established as Willshire & Feely c1910.
The place is an example of a commercial building dating from the first decades of the twentieth century that forms part of a group of similar places and makes a contribution to the Fremantle Town Centre streetscape. The place is a fine, substantially intact, example of a Federation Warehouse style building that makes a significant contribution to the streetscape.
Two storey building (rendered façade and face brick sides), with half basement ground floor, below street level, and a zero setback from the pavement. The name 'Willshire & Freely' appears under the parapet (probably not original). There is a central entrance with a pair of timber paneled doors, and arched windows with decorative timber awnings. (Heritage Council)
The 1910 Bank of Adelaide building, originally of two storeys, is on the northwestern corner of Pakenham Street at 64 High Street. With commercial premises on the ground floor, the Navy Club is now upstairs in the two-storey colorbond additions on top, straddling Nos. 62 and 60 as well. The Navy Club was previously in the Freemasons Hall in Marine Parade. The details of the original building include a crenellated cornice on the parapet and ashlar effect on the ground floor and engaged ashlar effect pilasters. Lot 105 was allocated in 1829 to Robert Thomson who built and operated the Stirling Arms, one of the first four pubs in the colony.
Mason's Building. Nos. 66-70 High Street, on the north-east corner. Architect: J McNeece. Builder: J Anderson. This has been known as the former Commonwealth Bank Building, but the bank did not own the building until 1925. Part of the site (No. 66) appears to have been part of E.H. Fothergill's estate. From 1882 until 1921 the property was owned by Frederick Mason, alias May, a jeweller and entrepreneur. This two-storey building was built in 1908 as four shops with residences above. Its neoclassical style is ‘softened’ by the plump proportions of the engaged columns. Unfortunately, in 2005, one section of the facade was painted a different colour, disturbing its unity; the awning and shopfront for that section are not original.
Ajax Building. Architect: J McNeece (part, c. 1908). On the south-west corner, at Nos. 49-59 High Street. On this site the Stags Head Inn was opened in 1834. The inn was rebuilt in 1848, and by the 1880s a boarding house, shops and dwellings had also been constructed. The building was sold to John Church, whose company became a substantial enterprise with bulk stores in Pakenham Street. The present building appears to have been built in two stages: in 1900 and c. 1908 — the latter to the design of J McNeece. From 1955 to 1981 it, together with adjoining buildings, was occupied by a furniture retailer, who commissioned internal renovations in 1958 to the design of Eric Moyle.
Central Chambers. Architect: F.W. Burwell (1906), Duncan, Stephen and Mercer (1991). Builder: R. Rennie. On the south-east corner at nos. 61-63 High Street. This is one of the most impressive of Burwell's buildings. William Pearse, who arrived in the colony in 1830, established a butcher's shop and premises on the site; he prospered by gaining contracts to supply merchant ships bound for the Cape of Good Hope with salted meat. The original shop was demolished in 1906 to make way for the present building, which was completed in 1907. One of its first occupants was a printer. New owners, J. and W. Bateman, in c. 1956 had a new facade erected, but the original was restored in 1991 during renovations under the direction of the architects Duncan, Stephen and Mercer. The highly decorative first-floor facade features ‘Central Chambers’ in stucco, a parapet with balustrade and five highly decorative pediments. Pilastered and stucco arched windows have decorative stucco above and engaged piers below. The original entrance is between the shops and has stained-glass leadlight highlights. The awning is not original.
John Church Bulk Stores, nos. 21-23. This two-storey building was constructed in 1900 as bulk store for John Church and Co., merchants and ironmongers. It was purchased by J W Bateman in 1930 and continued as a warehouse.In the 1990s it was converted to mixed commercial and residential, under the direction of architect R Hawkin.
Warehouse, No. 56, on the corner of Nairn Street. The first building on the site, built in 1887, comprised offices and warehouses for W D Moore. From 1883 to 1912 it was used by confectionery manufacturers. It was then occupied by C H Fielding, a wool broker and, from 1924, was used by Westralian Farmers as a skin and hide store. In 1971 it became a workshop and store for a ship repairer, and subsequently a panel beater. It was altered in 1986 to provide a desig11 August, 2020ations of Central Oyster Supplies. In the 1990s it was converted to become Pakenham Apartments.
Garry Gillard | New: 28 September, 2014 | Now: 11 August, 2020