Fremantle Stuff > streets >
Mayhew Street, Fremantle. Named circa 1909 (Library). Shown on a 1904 O'Connor harbour map, running between Tuckfield Street and Cantonment Road (now QV Street). Quarry Street then terminated at it. Mayhew Street would have run between what are now the Army Museum and the former Signal Station, at the foot of Cantonment Hill.
In the image above, note that that's the first (wooden) railway bridge, not the existing one, that's shown. Also that the present Canning Highway was then, where it met the bridge, called Richmond Road. And the bridges (almost) shown at the top are labelled the High Level Footbridge' and 'Low Level Roadbridge'.
Garry Gillard | New: 16 August, 2020 | Now: 16 August, 2020