Fremantle Stuff > streets > Henderson Street
Henderson St is named for the first Comptroller-General of Convicts, Edmund Y.W. Henderson, who arrived in 1850 with the first transports. It runs, as it has always done, between Queen Street and South Terrace. It formed the northernmost boundary to the Convict Depot, and contained housing for sappers, discipline warders (ordinary gaolers), and instructing warders. The Salvation Army citadel used to stand in William Street near the corner, but now the whole block on that northern side is occupied by the ghastly Queensgate parking station. The Freemasons (now Sail and Anchor) Hotel has stood on one of the South Terrace corners since 1901, but there was a hotel there from 1854. On the other South Terrace corner stand the Markets (1898) which replaced supervising 1850s warders cottages.
Corner of William and Henderson Streets. The Salvation Army Citadel was built in 1898, ... destroyed by fire in 1969 and demolished in September/October 1971. The site is now occupied by the Henderson Street parking station. Two storey Warders Quarters in Henderson Street, built 1898, demolished for the parking station in September 1971. ... Text and 1971 photo #183 from the Fremantle Library Local History Collection.
Fremantle Library Local History Collection photo #1284C, 1978. Caption: 'The Warders' Quarters were built ... in 1851. They were designed by Captain E Y W Henderson and the building work was supervised by J Manning.'
Skip Watkins 1985 photo FHS #E000252. The former Courthouse, constructed of Fremantle limestone in 1899, is an example of a building designed in the Federation Academic Classical style by the Public Works Department. Fremantle Courthouse (fmr) and Police Station Complex formed part of the original convict land grant that was established as part of the Fremantle Convict Establishment in 1851. The site, originally used for barracks and warders’ quarters, was taken over by the police in 1888, and since then has maintained links to both the Police and Fremantle Prison.
The first substantial buildings on Henderson St included barracks built for the sappers (later Royal Engineers) who began to arrive in 1850 to construct and manage the infrastructure required for the convict enterprise, the largest group arriving in 1851 on board the Anna Robertson. The image above is clipped from an 1877/1885 map and shows the sappers barracks at the top, next to the ST in HENDERSTON ST. The long building was the married quarters, the bottom one was for single men, and the top building housed the offices. (Kerr 1998: 2) At the other end of Henderson st, on the corner of South Terrace, are two pairs of semi-detached houses which Kerr shows as being for 'instructing warders'. These, as opposed to 'discipline warders', who lived in the Warders Cottages between, were sappers whose job it was to instruct convicts and supervise their work in building etc. It's not clear which of the sappers got these separate cottages, tho it's possible they were the non-commissioned officers, as there were sergeants stationed in Fremantle.
See also: warders cottages, police station, courthouse.
Garry Gillard | New: 16 May, 2017 | Now: 22 April, 2020