Fremantle Stuff > Streets > Croke Lane
Croke Street and Croke Lane. Lt-Capt James L. Croke was Harbourmaster from 1868. Croke Lane used to be Dalgety Street, as the warehouse of Dalgety & Co. was once there, but it was changed to avoid confusion with Dalgety Street in East Fremantle (which got its name from William Dalgety Moore who had his Woodside estate there. Dalgety & Co. got its name from founder Frederick Dalgety, a Scot who started the business in Melbourne.) Croke Street was named 1873.
Commercial Building nos. 2-4 Croke Lane - at the seaward end. Attributed to J.J. Talbot Hobbs as architect.
A warehouse was listed on this site in the 1891 rate book. The site was owned from 1893 to 1902 by the stock and shipping merchants Dalgety Company, which later relocated to the corner of Phillimore and Cliff Streets. In 1933, the building was bought by Western Star Milling and the rear section was converted to a four mill. The building was sold to the biscuit manufacturers Mills and Wares in c. 1966; it continued in use until the closure of the latter and was converted to residential apartments in 1986. Hutchison: 94.
Down a lane beside this building are two limestone facades, one of them with a simple form of Dutch gable. They may be the only surviving facades from the 1830s and may have been part of the original Shenton Building.
Hutchison, David 2006, Fremantle Walks, FACP.
West End walks
Garry Gillard | New: 13 November, 2015 | Now: 30 August, 2019