Fremantle Stuff > ships >

Marquis of Anglesea

The Marquis of Anglesea arrived with 104 passengers on 23 August 1829 and was wrecked on Anglesea Point on 4 September - and the point was consequently named after the ship. The other (northern) end of Bathers Bay was named Point Marquis. Neither 'point' still exists as such: both have become part of shore realignments. Point Marquis has been flattened and built over by the roadway leading out to the South Mole lighthouse. Anglesea Point was roughly at the western end of the former Fishermen's Cooperative building - now Bathers Beach House - and has become part of the shoreline at the southern end of Bathers Beach, near the point where the fishing harbour breakwater goes out to sea. Some remnant piles of the former Long Jetty may still be seen in the sea, near the breakwater. There is also a sculptural representation of part of said Jetty, which is more or less at the point where the actual Jetty went seawards from Anglesea Point.


This is a photograph of the image on an interpretive plaque at Bathers Bay, showing the location of the wreck on Anglesea Point, with South Bay (now filled in and become the Esplanade) to this (southern) side of it. The accompanying text follows.

Bathers Bay plaque:
The Marquis of Anglesea was the sixth ship to arrive at Swan River, anchoring in Gage Roads on 23 August 1829. On board were 104 passengers mainly from Cornwall. One child was born on the journey.
The 101 day journey from Plymouth, England, had been eventful. On a stopover at the Cape Verde Islands, the ship's surgeon was reportedly "drunk all the time" and one passenger "knocked down his wife without the slightest provocation on her part, and almost tore off the ear of a Gentleman who interfered on her behalf."
On 4 September, a gale drove the ship onto the rocks dragging its three anchors. Fortunately the passengers and most of the cargo had already been unloaded.

currie detail

Damaged beyond repair, the stranded hull of the Marquis of Anglesea was sold to local merchant George Leak for £170. He then leased the wreck to the Government which treated it as a ready-made building. A few modifications and it soon became the Governor's residence, the Harbour Master's office, the Post Office, a prison for refractory servants and the colonial store.
The wreck later became the colonial gaol, housing up to twenty seven prisoners. For a time it also housed a mental patient, the deranged surgeon Nicholas Langley. Its final use was as a grain store.
After some three years the wreck was finally broken up by heavy seas.

The wreck was the first 'place' to function as a post office, with the business conducted by Lionel Samson on a voluntary basis until John Bateman was appointed postmaster.

Souter & McMcCarthy:
The first port activities at Arthur Head were directed from the wreck of the Marquis of Anglesea (1815-1829) which provided a base for the Colony's first Harbour Master [Mark Currie]. The Harbour Master's office was then transferred to a building on Anglesea Point, due north of the South Jetty which was constructed in c. 1851. Souter & McMcCarthy.

Passenger List

Adapted, simplified, from the WAGS page.

Shipping report

Time of Arrival - 5pm 23rd August 1829 1pm
Ships Name - Marquis of Anglesea, 101 days from Plymouth
No. of Tons - 352
No. of Guns - 4
Where from - London, Plymouth, Puerto Plato, Santiago
Where about to - Swan River
Return of Cargo - General
Where consigned - Market
Passengers Names - Passenger List included
Intelligence - The Atwick will sail after the 12th May, to call at Plymouth and the Cape


Rivett Henry BLAND
Daniel & Eliza CARTER
Charles & Mary CHILCOTT & chn Charles, Langford, &Mary
Henry L. COLE
Nathaniel & Elizabeth COWELL & 6 chn: Eliza, Frederick, John, Nathaniel, Phoebe Cowell, & also John B., Sophia, J.P.B, & R.D.B Cox (yes, that's 9)
Thomas & Elizabeth DENT & 3 chn: Thomas, Ann, & Elizabeth
William & Jane DIXON & daughter Frances
William & Mrs Mary Ann LAMBE & 3 chn: Cora Matilda, Henry, & Robert Ansell
Robert [Menli] LYON real name Robert Lyon Milne
John & Elizabeth MILES
William & Mary NAIRNE & 4 chn: Charlotte, James, Margaret, William
Isaac & Hannah NELSON & 3 chn
Arthur PRICE
John & Rebecca SIMMONS (since dead)
Thomas & Matilda WALL & 3 chn: George, Mary Ann, & Matilda


James & Claryford BROOKES
Mary Ann GIBB
James GILL
Mathew GILL
William & Lucy GLOVER with child Thomas Glover and nephew William Glover
Thomas & Sarah PAUL [PORLEY] & 2chn: Ambrose Porley, Caroline Porley

Military passengers

Detachment: 63rd Regiment
From: Chatham, England
On board: Marquis of Anglesea
 1 Sergeant
 9 Privates
 4 Women
 2 Children
Remarks: One child born on board 12 August 1829.
Sergeant Francis BURKE
[Private George BUDGE was not on the Marquis of Anglesea, as per WAGS, but arrived on the Orelia.]
Private Phillip CORRIGAN & wife
Private Thomas HUGHES & wife
Private John KEARNEY
Private George McCOLGAN & wife
Private John McDONALD
Private John RAHILL
Private John REILLY (2) & wife, one child
Private Terence RYAN

From Dr Alexander Collie's Journal:

"September 7, 1829. During a gale from the westward on the night of September 3, the ship Marquis of Anglesea (352 tons) which had lately arrived (on August 23rd under the command of Captain W. Stewart) with 130 settlers on board and anchored in Gage Roads close to the mouth of the Swan River, drove on shore, bilged and filled with water; all hands were saved with part of the cargo that remained unloaded. This with the previous driving of the Calista shows that Gage Roads at this season, is not safe and may occasion the establishment of another sea-port in Cockburn Sound."

From a Letter by Captain W.T. Dance of HMS Sulphur dated 9th September 1829:

"The Marquis of Anglesea drove with three anchors ahead in a gale of wind and going onto the rocks southward of the entrance of the river, was bilged and I fear, can never be got off.

[Archdeacon Scott] was particularly scathing about the loss of the Marquis of Anglesea which, he said, ‘went on shore with two large anchors on her bow never used or prepared that was a complete piece of roguery on the underwriters.’ Errington: 9.

References, Links, Acknowledgements

Errington, Steve 2016, 'Thomas Hobbes Scott: Western Australia’s first clergyman', Early Days, no. 100: 87-100.

Souter, Corioli & M. McCarthy nd, The Maritime Archaeological Resource at Arthur Head: A Report for the Arthur Head Conservation Plan, Dept Maritime Archaeology, WA Maritime Museum, report no. 145.

WAGS page for this ship

Thanks to Diane Oldman for corrections.

The Glover family arrived on this ship.

Garry Gillard | New: 16 January, 2015 | Now: 18 February, 2022