Fremantle Stuff > port > admin. See also: the port, the FPA building,harbourmasters, pilots, sheds, Harbour Trust Building (1904-1962), and Fremantle Ports website.
In August 1829 the Fremantle Harbour Master position was created, the first incumbent (1829-1832) being Captain Mark John Currie >
In 1903 Fremantle Harbour Trust was created with five commissioners, three commissioners to be appointed by the Governor with the remaining two positions appointed by the Fremantle Chamber of Commerce and the Perth Chamber of Commerce respectively. The chairman of the Trust was then appointed by the Governor.
The first Harbour Trust for Fremantle was appointed on 7 January 1903, the members being: Messrs. Robert Laurie, M.L.C. (chairman); A. G. Leeds, C. Hudson, A. Sandover and T. Coombe. Mr. F. W. B. Stevens, who had been associated with the harbour scheme as secretary to C. Y. O'Connor, was appointed secretary and has held that position ever since [ - 1929]. The present  commissioners are: Messrs T. Carter (chairman), J. H. G. Taylor, W. H. A. Tanner, L. L. Bateman and P. G. McMahon. Hitchcock: 81.
The first formal meeting of the Fremantle Harbour Trust commissioners occurred on 5 January 1903 in the Dalgety Building. At that time Resident Engineer of Harbour works was W. Leslie and Harbour Master (1902-16) was Captain Irvine, both of whom were present for the meeting.
The Trust had its own building from 1904 when C.Y. O'Connor's office building (a former customs building) was moved from Arthur Head to the northern end of Cliff St, near where the present Fremantle Ports building has stood since 1963.
The port of Fremantle, as controlled by the board of Fremantle Harbour Trust Commissioners to-day , consists of the whole of the sheltered area of water lying between the mainland and Rottnest, Carnac and Garden Islands, and the reefs connecting these islands, and includes also the inner harbour basin within the estuary of the Swan River, at present extending up the river as far as the existing  railway bridge. FWB Stevens, in Hitchcock: 142.
The Harbour and Light Department and the position of the Chief Harbour Master of Fremantle were created in January 1880. Captain George Forsythe was Harbour Master 1874-1886.
The Harbour Trust ceased to exist in November 1964, being replaced by the Fremantle Port Authority, which began operations in its newly-completed building at the street address 1 Cliff St (tho it's really on the South Wharf).
The authority is now known as Fremantle Ports, as created under the Western Australian Port Authorities Act 1999 and Port Authorities Regulations 2001. The current CEO is Chris Leatt-Hayter, who was appointed by the Board of Directors. Allan Gray is the current Harbour Master.
Appleyard, Reg 2012, 'Port plans: Stirling to O'Connor', Fremantle Studies, 7: 123-136.
Dowson, John 2001, Fremantle: the Immigration Story, Fremantle Society.
Dowson, John 2003, Old Fremantle: Photographs 1850-1950, UWAP.
Dowson, John 2011, Fremantle Port, Chart and Map Shop Fremantle.
Hitchcock, JK 1929, The History of Fremantle, The Front Gate of Australia 1829-1929, Fremantle City Council.
Peters, Nonja 2004, 'The immigration buildings Victoria Quay 1906-1966', Fremantle Studies, 3: 40-52.
Stevens, J.W.B. 1929, The History of the Fremantle Harbour, A Romance in Port Building, in Hitchcock, qv.
Fremantle Ports website.
Fremantle Ports, 50 Years Administration Building booklet, online.
Notes in Fremantle, the newsletter of the Fremantle Society: October 1994 (E Shed), August 1998, March 2004, August 2007, September 2008, March 2010, October 2014.
Wikipedia article on Fremantle Port Authority.
See also: lumpers.
Garry Gillard | New: 18 September, 2017 | Now: 15 November, 2019