Fremantle Stuff > People > Henry Maxwell Lefroy
Henry Maxwell Lefroy (1818-1879) arrived in the colony in 1841, and was granted land in the York area. He led an expedition east from York in 1863. After leaving Australia to serve in the Royal Navy, he returned as Superintendent of Convicts 1854-75. He died of pneumonia in Fremantle in 1879 and was buried in Karrakatta Cemetery.
Lefroy Road ran along the southern border of his estate, in the area where Beaconsfield TAFE is now. Part of his property there was called Mulberry Farm, and the name is remembered in Mulberry Farm Lane, White Gum Valley. Davis Park, Beaconsfield, was part of what was earlier known as Mulberry Gardens/Farm. What is currently Bruce Lee Oval (set to become yet more housing) was part of his farm, and there are three very large olive trees there which would have been part of the farm.
Two of the Lefroy olive trees on Bruce Lee Oval
Also named after him are the (self-named) Lefroy River, and Lake Lefroy.
Lefroy, Mike 2010, 'Hard landings', Fremantle Studies, 6: 93-104.
Biggs, Hazel 1997, Exploring in Western Australia, WA Museum: 35-37.
Garry Gillard | New: 23 November, 2014 | Now: 17 July, 2019