Fremantle Stuff > people >
Hitchcock 1929: 88:
With the steady growth and increasing importance of the town, the democratic spirit of the citizens began to manifest itself in a demand for municipal government, and on February 27, 1867, a meeting of ratepayers was held in the Oddfellows' Hall in William Street for the purpose of electing a chairman and councillors. The following representative citizens were present at that meeting:-
Messrs. J. G. Slade, R.M. (chairman); E. Newman, W. D. Moore, W. S. Pearse, Captain W. D. Jackson, E. Solomon, W. E. Marmion, E. H. Higham, W. Jose, H. M. Lefroy, Joseph Doonan, James Herbert, John Chester, J. J. Harwood, George Armstrong, John Henderson, W. Leach, Henry Albert, George Thompson, J. H. Duffield, D. B. Francisco, W. Hayes, George Curedale, and a number of others. ...
Hitchcock 1929: 89:
First Council Meeting
On March 10, 1871, the newly-constituted body held its first meeting: at John Thomas' Albert Hotel (since rebuilt and renamed the Commercial Hotel). At that meeting it was resolved, on the motion of W. E. Marmion seconded by W. Hayes, that George Thompson be appointed clerk and collector at the remuneration of 6 per cent. on all moneys collected exclusive of fines. A letter from John Henderson was read applying for the position of Inspector of Nuisances and Supervisor of Works. After some discussion it was proposed by G. Pearse and seconded by H. Dixon, that the person to be appointed be paid £50 per annum for his services. As an amendment, L. A. Manning proposed and W. Hayes seconded that the sum of £40 be paid to the person appointed to the office of Supervisor, Inspector of Nuisances and Inspector of Weights and Measures, and the amendment was carried. It was decided to call for applications by advertisement for the position.
On portion of the site of Strelitz’s Buildings there stood an old two-storied house with gable ends, and next to it was a first-class boarding house conducted by Mr. John Henderson, under the sign of ‘Auld Reekie’. ...
Starting from Collie-street [going along Pakenham Street], the first building on the right was the shop of a one-legged shoemaker named W. Hurst. In those days shoemakers’ shops were fairly numerous, as boots were all handmade and none were imported, and as numbers of convicts were taught the trade whilst in prison, they could start in business on their own account upon their release, as practically no capital was required. This shop, together with an adjoining shop and residence which were afterwards erected by Mr. John Henderson, was in later years converted into a colonial wine and beer house under the sign of the ‘Welsh Harp’, which was kept by Mr. E. Tonkin, and the site of which is now occupied by the Oceanic Hotel.
HENDERSON, John. (Indistinguishable)
Possibly 2 or 3 different men involved.
Fremantle Commissariat sailmaker 1860 .
Employed 10 T/L men 1864-1870 including 5 cooks, a hostler etc at Fremantle, Perth & Mason's Landing.
Dep. 12 .5 .1865 per Sea Ripple (SA Reg).
Gingin farmer 1867 .
Fremantle boardinghouse keeper. 1864 who employed 10 T/L men including an ostler & 3 cooks.
Canning - Mason's landing 1868-1870.
Fremantle, pawnbroker, 1877 signed a petition regarding discrimination against exp1rees.
Married 15.12.1863 Emma BARTON.
HENDERSON, John. b. 1818 (expiree). arr. 10.2.1853 per Dudbrook, wife & 2 chd. followed per City of Bristol 8.8.1857. m. Anne b. 1817. d. ?15.6.1860 (Frem). Chd. Lawrence b. 1844, Marion b. L846. ?Commissariat sailmaker, Fremantle in 1860. ?Frem. Pawnbroker 1877. signed a petition .
Hitchcock 1929, Erickson.
Garry Gillard | New: 13 April, 2021 | Now: 13 April, 2021