Fremantle Stuff > People > William Dixon
William Dixon arrived in Fremantle in 1829 on board the Marquis of Anglesea accompanied by wife Jane and 8 yr-old daughter Frances. He was a shoemaker from Nottingham who became a publican and storekeeper.
He was granted 2,268 acres in Swan Location, which he sold to Samuel Moore in 1834. He purchased Fremantle town lots in Mouat, Henry and Pakenham Streets. In 1830 he was granted a liquor license for the George IV Public House (on the SW corner of High and Cliff Streets, where W.F. Samson's house stood c. 1855 - c. 1955. The site is currently vacant, and NDU is planning for a new building on it). In 1833 he was a store proprietor and general dealer. By 1860 the real estate he owned was valued at £1,000; he was qualified as a juror.
Hitchcock shows him as purchasing town lots 32, 68, 408/409, which were, respectively, in Mouat St, Henry St, and in Pakenham St - all the land between Leake and High Sts.
Hitchcock, JK 1929, The History of Fremantle, The Front Gate of Australia 1829-1929, Fremantle City Council.
Tuckfield, Trevor 1971, 'Early colonial inns and taverns', Early Days: Journal and proceeedings of the Royal Western Australian Historical Society, 7, 3: 65-82; Part 2, Early Days: Journal and proceeedings of the Royal Western Australian Historical Society, 7, 7: 98-106.
Welcome Walls entry
Garry Gillard | New: 26 August, 2015 | Now: 18 November, 2018