Fremantle Stuff > people > Thomas Bannister
Bannister Street is named after Capt Thomas Bannister (1799-1874) who arrived aboard the Atwick in 1829 and was one of the first four buyers of town allotments sold in Fremantle in September 1829 (Hitchcock: 15). He bought lots 29-30. Lot 30 is on the NW corner of Mouat and High Streets and lot 29 is next to it (obviously) in Mouat Street. The Habgood family had a ﬁve-roomed cottage on lot 30 in the nineteenth century. After Robert Habgood’s death in 1882, his wife Sarah (nee Smithers) sold the vacant portion of the property to the National Bank of Australia in 1884, which built the extant building in 1902.
See also: Bannister Street.
Garry Gillard | New: 2 May, 2020 | Now: 4 May, 2020