Fremantle Stuff > organisations >
Freemasonry or Masonry consists of fraternal organisations that trace their origins to the local fraternities of stonemasons, which from the end of the fourteenth century regulated the qualifications of stonemasons and their interaction with authorities and clients.
The first Fremantle Masonic Hall is in Marine Terrace, 1877
The original Masonic Hall was located at the corner of Mouat Street and Marine Terrace, and opened in 1877. This continued to be the lodge of the Fremantle Masons until 1958, when a new Masonic Hall was opened for Fremantle Lodge no.1033. ... The original Masonic Hall was purchased by the Navy Club at this time. Heritage Council.
The Navy Club began in 1945 at 42 Cliff Street, before moving to the Masonic Hall in Marine Terrace when the Masons moved to the corner of High and Chalmers Streets. The Navy Club moved from this building in 1993 to 64 High Street, on the corner of Pakenham Street. The building was then used as a restaurant. It is currently the commercial premises of a building company.
There are other Masonic Halls at Amherst Street, cnr High Street, and Canning Road (now Highway), East Fremantle nr Dalgety Street.
There was (or is) a Masonic Hall in Station Street, Guildford. The only hint of its original purpose is the signage at the front of the now privately owned house. Formed in 1896, the Guildford Lodge was the first of its kind since the formation of the Grand Lodge of Scottish Freemasonry in Western Australia. (SGHS newsletter November 2020)
Notes about the Freemasons Hall (Navy Club) in Fremantle, the newsletter of the Fremantle Society: July 1995, March 1996, March 2004, July 1996, October 1996
Garry Gillard | New: 21 April, 2016 | Now: 15 February, 2021