Fremantle Stuff > Hotels > Stirling Arms
The Stirling Arms was among the first four places in Fremantle (and seven in the colony) to be granted a licence on 1 January 1830. It was on Lot 105, which was on the NW corner of High and Pakenham Streets, next to William Rolfe Steele's Lot 81. The 1910 Bank of Adelaide is now on that corner, with the Navy Club above. Lots 104 and 105 had been granted to George French Johnson, who was shot dead in a duel on 13 August 1832.
Of the seven other inns (or hotels as their pretentious licensees preferred to call them) first licensed in 1830, Robert Thomson received his licence at Fremantle for a 'house of public entertainment'—the genteel name for a pub—under the name of the Stirling Arms, situated on the corner of High and Pakenham streets, which at that time were streets in name only on the newly-drawn survey map. Thomson, after whom a bay was named at Rottnest, also had a licence for a ferry across the Swan River at or near the present North Fremantle railway bridge. Tuckfield: 67.
Tuckfield, Trevor 1971, 'Early colonial inns and taverns', Part 1, Early Days: Journal and proceedings of the Royal Western Australian Historical Society, 7, 3: 65-82; Part 2, Early Days, 7, 7: 98-106.
Garry Gillard | New: 5 February, 2019 | Now: 5 February, 2019