Fremantle Stuff > hotels >
What is now the (Old) Serpentine Tavern was originally called the Serpentine Falls Hotel, when it was built in 1903-05 on the corner of Wellard and Richardson Streets, Serpentine.
Construction of the hotel commenced 1903-05, on the site of the former dwelling of the Sebo family. The Serpentine Falls Hotel was painted on the roof. A wayside inn had been operated by Richard Baldwin in the townsite, but once the railway had been gazetted the inn was no longer in a premium position. A make-shift inn was then used near the railway station until the new hotel was built.
In 1911, the hotel was taken over by R. H. Maxwell and managed by W. J. Turner.
Adjacent to the railway line which was opened in 1893. A modified/regional Federation Queen Anne style, with single storey, varied roof shapes - high-pitched hipped roof with prominent gables facing the street with timbered effect within the gable. Bullnose verandah over the footpath sides of the building. Internally, original walls rendered and other renovations carried out.
Significant in representing the Influence of the railways and sawmills to Serpentine and being the only remaining hotel/tavern in the Serpentine locality. Its proximity to the railway meant that patrons of the hotel had relatively easy access and therefore was an important meeting place for visitors and residents to Serpentine. Its comer location gives the hotel a landmark quality.
Important as part of the group of early and complimentary buildings in the Serpentine townsite.
MODIFICATIONS: Renovated in 1980 - rendered internal and external walls
Heritage Council entry.
Garry Gillard | New: 23 March, 2021 | Now: 23 March, 2021