Fremantle Stuff > hotels (and breweries). See also: publicans.
The first four places in Fremantle to be licensed, on 1 January 1830, when the licensing court sat for the first time were: the Stirling Arms, the Collins Hotel, the South Sea Hall Public House, the George IV Public House. Tuckfield.
The hotels in the list that follows are in Allen Graham's numerical order (from the map mentioned below), probably in approximate date order. We await publication of his research for more detailed information.
1. The Stirling Arms (Robert Thomson, licensee, 1 January 1830) was on Lot 105, which was on the NW corner of High and Pakenham Streets, next to Steele's Lot 81 (see 3.). The 1910 Bank of Adelaide is now on that corner, with the Navy Club above. Lots 104 and 105 had been granted to George French Johnson, who was shot dead in a duel on 13 August 1832.
2. The Collins Hotel 1829-1857 (Robert Collins, licensee, 1 January 1830) later the Waterman's Arms (according to Graham - and the Fremantle Library), was at Lot 41 in Mouat St, roughly where a dwelling presently stands at no. 14.
3. South Sea Hall Public House (William Rolfe Steele, licensee, 1 January 1830), later the Royal Hotel, was on Lots 80 and 81, on the NE corner of Henry and High Streets, where the Marich Building is currently.
4. George IV Public House (William Dixon, licensee, 1 January 1830) was on the SW corner of High and Cliff Streets, where W.F. Samson's house stood c. 1855 - c. 1955. The site is owned by NDU and is currently vacant. The university had plans - which were disallowed - for a five-storey building on it.
The Bush Inn, licensed April 1830, was the first wayside inn in the colony (and the eighth licensed premises). Established by John Butler as Prospect Place but also known as the Halfway House, it was known by its popular name because of its position 'halfway' between Perth and Fremantle. It was not close to the site of the present Albion Hotel (in Cottesloe) but on the river side of View Street, Peppermint Grove.
5. Richard James's Hotel, later Tranby House, licensed July 1830, was on Lot 130, in the middle of the south side of Short St. (Perhaps he arrived on the Tranby, 3 February 1830.)
'Lionel Lukin received in July 1830 a licence (retail) for his farm, Lilburn, across the Swan at North Fremantle, where he had established a solid house and a large garden. It is not known whether he had a store of some kind or whether he used his house as an inn. Like many others, he was heard of no more in this respect.' Tuckfield: 68.
The Black Swan Hotel is not in Graham's list (possibly because the map he was using does not extend far enough north-east). According to Bruce Bott (v. infra), John Bateman was successful in an application in October 1830 for a licence for an inn between Cantonment Street and Beach St, possibly about where the Officeworks carpark now is. Bott writes that he operated the inn with Anthony Curtis, but that it was not successful. Curtis, a former RN sailor, moved on to the Stag's Head. (Tuckfield: 79) Bateman and Curtis had arrived on the Medina 6 July 1830.
6. The Australian Inn was on Lot 77, in the middle of the eastern side of Henry St, roughly where the Lance Holt School now is. 'Although the Perth Gazette of 1835 said the old Australian Inn was for sale, that is absolutely all I have ever seen of this hotel. I think it may have been on lot 77 and that is in Henry Street.' Tuckfield: 101.
7. The Albion Inn (or Hostelry) was a house at Lot 117 Pakenham St (third lot from the southern end on the western side) established by William Heares Smithers in 1831 and until 1834 when it was offered by sale. It was run by John Hole Duffield, conjecturally, from 1839 to 1844. Errington has this in existence in 1831: Steve Errington 2017, 'Fremantle 1829-1832: an illustrated history', Fremantle Studies, 9: 15-29. (Nothing to do with the Albion Hotel run by Mrs Alice Bullen on the Perth-Fremantle road from around 1870 - on or near the site where the present-day Albion Hotel still stands.)
8. The Union Hotel was on Lot 128, on the corner of Short and Market Streets. It was apparently mentioned in an 1833 advertisement (Perth Gazette, August 3). Lot 128 had been granted to William Keats, and is was he who opened the hotel in 1832 or before. Wm Dixon took it over in July 1832 and was still the licensee in 1834.
9. The King's Arms was on Lot 79, which is three lots from the NE corner of High and Henry Streets, roughly where there is now an empty building used for private parking - which will probably be developed as part of the Marich Building development. Tuckfield writes that it was opened by Mr and Mrs Keats, formerly of the Union Hotel (see 8.) (Allen Graham calls it the King's Head.)
10. The Plough Hotel was on Lot 125, three lots from the corner of Leake and Market Streets in 1833. John Cooper was the licensee to 1835 or later. It was followed by the Racehorse Hotel on the corner, and then the Princess Theatre (cinema) which extended from that corner westward along Leake St - to what was to become the Pearlers/Terminus Hotel (extant).
11. The Stag's Head Hotel was on Lot 106, which was on the SW corner of Pakenham and High Streets. It was opened in December 1833 by Antony Curtis (formerly of the Black Swan Hotel (v. supra) and was extant in 1844. The building now on the corner is known as the Ajax Building.
12. The Swan Hotel (originally 1888) was on Lot 294, and the 1923 building is extant, at what is now 201 Queen Victoria St, on the corner with Swan St.
13. Mrs Pace's, the Crown & Thistle, becomes the Victoria Hotel (c. 1870), and then the P&O Hotel (1901, extant), on Lots 45 and 46. Mrs Pace was the wife of Captain Pace.
14. The Globe Hotel was on Lot 93, which was near the southern end of Henry St, roughly where 52 and 54 Henry St now are.
15. The Emerald Isle, later the Club Hotel, and now the Orient Hotel (extant) was and is on Lot 62, on the SW corner of Henry and High Streets.
16. The Crown & Thistle (also known [in 1851] as Wellard's Hotel, and apparently different from 13) later the Cleopatra Hotel (extant), was on part of Lot 61, near the NW corner of Henry and High Streets.
17. The Castle, later Lodge's Hotel, later Fremantle Club, later Workers Club (from 1914), demolished by that Club in 1956, Lot 56, roughly 1 Henry St, now an NDU carpark. Possibly the first three-storey building in the state.
18. The Southern Cross Hotel, later Albert Hotel (aka Seubert's hotel), later Exchange Hotel, later Commercial Hotel (extant building since c. 1908), now called Sun Dancer Resort Backpackers, Lot 411, 80 High St.
19. Rose & Crown, previously a house, later a school, later the site of the Oriana Cinema (1938, demolished 1972), Lot 386, Queen St (next to the Victoria Hall), corner of High St.
20. Freemasons (1903, extant) later Sail & Anchor (from 1986).
21. The Pier Hotel (1873-1955) Lot 53, Cliff St, corner of Croke St.
22. The Star Hotel (1887) Lot 182, 5 Essex St, extant? as Pirate Backpackers at what is now 11 Essex St?
23. The Stanley Beer House, later the Duke of York Hotel, Lot 434, Bannister Street. See Hougoumont.
24. The Welsh Harp, later Collie Hotel, later Oceanic Hotel (extant as dwellings), Collie St, Lot 451, corner Pakenham St.
25. His Lordship's Larder, later His Majesty's Hotel, Lot 39, Mouat St, corner of Phillimore St.
26. The National Hotel (extant), Lot 415, corner High and Market Streets.
27. The Oddfellows Hotel, now Norfolk Hotel (but only half of it is extant), Lot 167, corner of Norfolk Street and South Terrace.
28. The Pearlers Hotel, later Terminus Hotel (extant), Lot 120, 18 Pakenham Street, corner of Leake St.
29. The Federal Hotel (briefly called Rosie O'Grady's), Lot 378, 23-25 William St.
30. The Esplanade Hotel, Lot 150, formerly corner of Collie St, now extends from Collie St to Essex St, 46-54 Marine Terrace. See also the Esplanade Hotel Perth.
31. The Park Hotel, Lot 573, 9 Parry St, cnr Ellen St, now St Patrick's housing.
32. The Newcastle Club Hotel, now Newport (since 1986), Lot 228, 2 South Terrace, corner of Market St.
33. The Australia Hotel (c. 1900) Lot 258, 2 Beach St, formerly corner of Edward, now Parry St.
34. The Fremantle Hotel (1899) part of Lot 18, 6 High St, corner of Cliff St.
The Port Hotel is shown on an 1885 map on Lot 384, in the middle of the south side of what is now the High St Mall.
Albion Hotel aka Halfway House [note: not the only one], Perth-Fremantle Road, now Stirling Highway, Cottesloe
Brighton Hotel aka Sundowner Hotel, 416 Stirling Highway Cottesloe, is now the Amana Living Sundowner Centre.
Captain Fremantle Motor Lodge (which later traded as Sunny's Shining on the Swan) was on the corner of East Street and Riverside Road, operating 1970-1984, but has now been replaced by a condo.
Captain Stirling Hotel, Nedlands, still trading as such.
Claremont Hotel, corner of Bay View Terrace and Gugeri Street, still trading as such.
Cleikum Inn, West Guildford (Bassendean), 1832, hosts James and Jane Dodds
Highway/Coronado Hotel, Stirling Highway, Claremont, now Claremont Medical Centre, was designed by Reginald Summerhayes, Marshall Clifton, 1940.
Coogee Hotel, Cockburn Rd, Coogee
Hotel Cottesloe, 1905
Guildford Hotel, James Street, Guildford. "... in 1835 William Devenish started a brewery in conjunction with his inn at Guildford and advertised: 'because of the pureness of the water in his well, the best beer in the colony'." (Tuckfield: 72)
Newmarket Hotel, 2 Cockburn Rd, now a ballet school, was also Edz Sportz Bar
Leopold Hotel, Canning Highway, Bicton, now also a First Choice liquor store.
Little Creatures Brewery, Mews Road, and Creatures Next Door, formerly Lombardo's
The Monk Brew Cafe, 33 South Terrace, formerly Miss Maud's, (New) Papa Luigi's
Ocean Beach Hotel, Cottesloe, 1907
Osborne Hotel, Claremont
Palace Hotel, Esplanade, Perth
Pineapple Inn, John Gregory, Guildford Road Maylands (mentioned by Tuckfield: 70)
Raffles Hotel, Applecross, 1937, by William G. Bennett
Rose and Crown, Swan Street, Guildford
Royal George Tavern, Canning Hwy, East Fremantle, now gone in favour of 'Richmond Quarter' housing.
Steve's, Nedlands Park Hotel, 30 The Avenue, Nedlands, steves.com.au; purchased in 1935 by Stephen McHenry, the hotel soon became fondly known as ‘Steves’
Stirling Arms, Hotel, James Street, Guildford
Willagee Hotel was cnr Stock Rd, Leach Hwy; a shopping centre is there now.
Woodbridge Hotel (? c. 1833): "George Williams' inn which is thought to be at the Woodbridge farm (later occupied by Walter Jones and Jonathon Jecks as a hotel and later by J. Seabrook) but I have never been sure of the exact location of this farm house." (Tuckfield: 75) ... early in 1834 Williams left Guildford to take up the licence of the Perth Hotel (Tuckfield: 76)
Woodbridge Hotel, 1902, Water Street, Guildford: 'In 1902 the hotel was developed by Sydney born architect E.E. Giles who lived locally on East Street.'
Albert, Exchange, Southern Cross, Sundancers, see: Commercial
Bridge, see: Richmond
Bruce Town, see: Gresham
Collie Hotel, see: Oceanic
Crown and Thistle, West End Hotel, Auld Mug, see: Cleopatra
Commercial, Club, Emerald Isle, Maloney's, see: Orient
Duke of York, Stanley Beer House aka Stanley Hotel, Bannister Suites, see: Hougoumont
Federal Coffee Palace, see: Lance Holt School
His Lordship's Larder, see: His Majesty's
The Local, see: Seaview
Moondyne Joe's, see: Beaconsfield
Norfolk, see: Oddfellows
Newport, see: Newcastle Club
Pearlers, see: Terminus
Phoenix Brewery, see also: Castlemaine Brewery
Sail and Anchor, see: Freemasons
South Beach, see: Davilak
Sundowner, see: Brighton
Tradewinds, see: Plympton
Port City Pirate, see: Star
Welsh Harp Hotel, see: Oceanic
Wellard's Hotel, see: Crown & Thistle/Cleopatra
See also: Licensees 1888, 1892, September 1893, December 1893, 1894, 1897.
Bott, Bruce 2001, 'Some of John Bateman's houses in and around Fremantle', Fremantle Studies, 2: 17-35. His endnote refers to Tuckfield 1971: 78.
Dowson, John 2003, Old Fremantle: Photographs 1850-1950, UWAP.
Errington, Steve 2017, 'Fremantle 1829-1832: an illustrated history', Fremantle Studies, 9: 15-29. Errington's endnotes also, like Bott's, refers to Tuckfield's 1971 paper, but add another from 1975: 7, 7, 98.
Ewers, John K. 1971, The Western Gateway: A History of Fremantle, Fremantle City Council, with UWAP, rev. ed. [1st ed. 1948].
Graham, Allen 2018, pubs of wa, Facebook page. Allen Graham has been researching Fremantle hotels since 1982. There is a map compiled by him in the Fremantle Library showing Fremantle hotels 1829-1857, and I have referred to that to 'complete' some locations above.
Hitchcock, J.K. 1929, The History of Fremantle, The Front Gate of Australia 1829-1929, Fremantle City Council.
Hutchison, David 2006, Fremantle Walks.
Tuckfield, Trevor 1971, 'Early colonial inns and taverns', Early Days: Journal and proceeedings of the Royal Western Australian Historical Society, Part 1, 7, 3: 65-82; Part 2, 7, 7: 98-106.
Williams, A.E. 1984, Nedlands: From Campsite to City, City of Nedlands.
Fremantle Library, database (PDF from an Excel file) of Hotels in Fremantle 1829-.
Garry Gillard | New: 23 September, 2014 | Now: 6 November, 2019