Home | Calendar | Events | History | Committee | Constitution
The Fremantle Workers Social and Leisure Club was founded in 1914 in the three-storey Lodge's Castle Hotel, built in the 1860s at 1 Henry St (now a carpark). The club soon gained ownership of the building. It was thought, in 1956, that a larger (tho one-storey) bespoke building was required, so lots 59 and 60 (7-9) Henry Street were acquired, and the club moved there, later selling the Castle Hotel site. In 2011 the Committee decided that the club was no longer viable, and began the process of winding up the organisation and selling its assets. This was interrupted by Don Whittington, who succeeded in borrowing money, re-opening the building and running the club for another few years. It was still necessary to sell the property to pay off the debt, however, and the deal was concluded in April 2015. Most of the money acquired from the sale will go towards the construction of a new clubhouse in Fremantle Park, which will be shared with the Tennis and Bowling Clubs, whose present premises will be demolished. All three will form the Fremantle Park Sport and Community Centre from January 2020.
Club members now meet on a Sunday afternoon, with a band and dancing. During 2019 they have convened at South Fremantle Football Club, the Italian Club, and the Bowling and Tennis Clubs.
Committee | Constitution | Sponsors| Download membership application form (pdf) | Download membership renewal form (pdf) |Future Directions (pdf)
Fremantle Workers Social and Leisure Club Inc.
PO Box 1234 Fremantle 6959