Fremantle Stuff > Organisations > Caledonian Society
Caledonian Hall, 13 James St, cnr Quarry St, built 1903/4 for Donald McDonald Mckay, F McDonald and John Hector. It was designed by F W Burwell and was opened May 30th 1903. The hall was built for the Scottish group, the Fremantle Caledonian Society which were founded in 1888. The place changed hands in the late 1930s and later became C. J. Tree Panel Beaters at the ground floor and billiard rooms on the first floor. The place has aesthetic, historic and social significance as a place for the Scottish community of the area, and as a former recreational building in the centre of Fremantle. The place is a minor landmark in the area. Two storey rendered and zincalume hipped roofed corner building. There is a circular turret which extends above the roof height. Heritage Council.
Hitchcock, JK 1929, The History of Fremantle, The Front Gate of Australia 1829-1929, Fremantle City Council.
Garry Gillard | New: 25 October, 2015 | Now: 12 July, 2019