Fremantle Stuff > buildings > 4-16 Adelaide Street
4-16 Adelaide Street, 1908
Adelaide St is one of the earliest streets of Fremantle, appearing in the 1833 survey. It is named for Queen Adelaide, consort of William IV.
Lot 330 originally held a store/dwelling owned by Doonan family from c1890-1909, then Cook family, 1909-1913, followed by purchase of lot by Wright and Bradshaw in 1913.
The 'Woolworth's Building' was built c. 1908 by J. McNeece, architect with builder J. J. Ashman. Ceilings by Wunderlich (pressed metal). The building was Bradshaw's from 1914-1931, a drapers, clothiers and house furnishers. Woolworths from 1931, and various other shops have occupied building. On 12/10/1977 a steel fire escape was installed at rear by Oldham Boas Ednie-Brown & partners. In 1980 the building was bought by Perth Building Society (PBS). In 1984 internal alterations and façade treatment costing $630, 000 were carried out. Later (1988) Challenge Bank.
At 2002, various retail and commercial outlets.
Two storey rendered masonry building, with a zero setback from the pavement. There is a highly decorative parapet with engaged low balustrades and pilasters. The highly decorative first floor façade features engaged Corinthian pilasters, flanking large multi paned timber windows and arched multi mullioned transoms lights with arched stucco reveals, with keystones above and engaged balustrades below. There is a veranda awning with metal brackets and timber board lining (probably not original).
Statement of Significance
The place is of historic significance as an example of a commercial building in the Fremantle Town Centre dating from the early decades of the twentieth century. The place is a fine example of a Federation Free Classical style building, with elaborate stucco decoration above the ground floor level, that makes a significant contribution to the streetscape. The place is of social significance as evidenced by its classification by the National Trust. Awning and shop fronts are not significant.
Heritage Council page for this building (as above)
Image from Google
Garry Gillard | New: 29 September, 2016 | Now: 1 January, 2020