Fremantle Stuff > Buildings > Watsonia building
The Watsonia building is my name for 71 High St because because Watson's Foods had a store here in living memory, 1946-2002 (see the Heritage Council notes below for these dates). It was owned by various Pearses 1880-1920. The appearance of the building dates from 1946.
FHC photo #2606, 1989, by Skip Watkins, with this caption: A Watsonia truck delivered fresh products daily to Watsons Foods at 71 High Street from the factory in Spearwood.
Watsonia was founded by William Watson. >
What follows is from a Heritage Council page.
Statement of Significance
The building has aesthetic and historic significance as an example of an early twentieth century commercial building, adapted in the inter-war period and remaining substantially intact from that time, that contributes to the significant High Street streetscape. The use of limestone is part of the Fremantle landscape and gives the City coherence and character. Limestone walls were built around properties in Fremantle to prevent sand drift in response to an early building regulation dating from the 1830s. Limestone walls are one commonly encountered example of use of this stone as a building material, most of them dating from the 19th century and early years of the 20th century. Most of the limestone in small walls came from local quarries.
A two storey, largely unadorned, painted brick building. There is a simple cornice to the parapet and ashlar effect quoining on the corners of the first floor façade, tall timber sash windows with stucco reveals. The verandah awnings have pressed metal lining intact and probably dating from the 1946 fit out. The place contains a Limestone Feature.
... The Fremantle Rates Books shows that in 1880 there was a House, Store and warehouse on Lot 423 which was owned by Pearse’s Estate and occupied by George Edwards (storekeeper). By 1885 ownership had passed to Frank Pearse, W.S. and G. Pearse. Edwards were listed as drapers and storekeepers, and another occupier was Richard Birch chemist. A sketch of Views of Fremantle WA 1892 by Rider & Mercer shows Birch & Webster, Chemists and Druggists, High St Fremantle. By 1909 Pearse Bookmakers, Birch chemist and H. Pearse Dentist were listed as occupiers with owner still Frank Pearse. Pearse was listed as the owner until 1920. The Estate was then purchased by Rachael Hollis. The place was adapted for Watson's Supply Store in 1946 by Arcus Ltd Shop Front and Store Fitters. Watson's Food Pty Ltd of Watsonia family company closed in early 2002. This place was identified in the 'Heritage Report on 19th century limestone walls and steps in Fremantle' prepared by Silvana Grassadonia for the City of Fremantle, 1986.
This place was adopted onto the Fremantle MHI and the Heritage List by the decision of Council on 28/09/2011. (The limestone feature was already adopted.)
Creation Date 06 Mar 2002 Publish place record online (inHerit): Approved
Last Update 14 Jun 2016
This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.
Heritage Council page
Garry Gillard | New: 6 May, 2016 | Now: 9 November, 2019