Fremantle Stuff > buildings >
Terrace, 131-135 South Terrace, is a typical limestone and iron single storey group of three terrace houses dating from c. 1901. The place has aesthetic value for its contribution to the streetscape and the surrounding area. It is representative of the typical workers houses in the Fremantle area. The place is an example of the Federation Bungalow style of architecture.
This is a set of three, single storey, masonry and iron terraces with an overall symmetrical façade built in c. 1901 and designed as an example of the Federation Bungalow style of architecture. The walls are masonry. The roof is hipped and clad with corrugated iron with dividing parapet walls visible through roof. The verandah is under a separate bullnose corrugated iron roof. There are two rendered masonry corbelled chimneys evident. There is a high rendered masonry wall to the front boundary line making further description difficult.
House, 129 South Terrace & Terraces, 131-135 South Terrace:
Lots 24 of 601 and Lot 23 of 600 were granted to David Joslin, a Pensioner, in 1870 and remained in his family for 80 years. According to the rates books, the earliest buildings appeared on these lots in 1885, both termed as cottages. In 1901-02, three more cottages were built: the terrace houses at 131, 133 and 135 South Terrace. James Joslin, a milkman, was the owner. Herbert Ellis, a fitter, Sydney Lamb, a painter, and James Reynolds, an iron monger, were the first occupants.
The separate stone house, number 129, is thought to be one of the earliest buildings, which was situated well back on the lot. It would appear that this house was demolished in 1960.
A Metropolitan Sewerage plan dated c. 1910 shows a group of three terraces at 213, 215 and 217 South Terrace (now 131, 133, 135). The cottages brick terraces all have full length front verandahs with galvanised iron additions to the rear. No. 215 and No. 217 also had galvanised iron baths attached to the rear.
Joslin retained ownership of the property until his death in 1950. In later years, he was listed in the rate books as a carpenter or cabinet maker. Title to the property passed to his wife, Louise, but in 1951, the property was sold to Sergio Cappelluti, a fisherman. Modesta and Nina Cappelluti became the owners in 1960. In 1979, the property was subdivided by strata plan. The Cappellutis retained ownership of No. 131 and 133 and No. 135 was purchased by Michael and Sarah Henderson. By 1983, No. 135 had been ‘fully renovated’ and was again offered for sale.
This place was included in the list of heritage places in the City of Fremantle identified by the Fremantle Society (1979/80) - RED - significant for contributing to the unique character of Fremantle.
High degree of integrity (original intent clear, current use compatible, high long term sustainability).
High degree of authenticity with much original fabric remaining.
(These statements based on street survey only).
Heritage Council page for this building (from which the text above comes).
Garry Gillard | New: 1 May, 2020 | Now: 1 May, 2020