Fremantle Stuff > buildings > The Residency
Arthur Head c1870. The large building right of centre is Government Quarters aka The Residency, which was built in 1856 for the Water Police and demolished in 1967. To the left is the second courthouse, left of which may be seen the steps going up to the Round House. To the left again is the harbourmaster's house. On the right edge of the photograph is the first lighthouse. The photo is beautifully reproduced in John Dowson's Old Fremantle, pages 26 and 27. This is from Fremantle Library photo #1801, and the FHC text is as follows.
The Residency first appears on a plan dated 1856, built for the Water Police. It was demolished in 1967. The lighthouse was erected in 1850 by convict labour. About 1876 the tower was cut down and the stump covered with a conical roof. The flagstaff was originally at Anglesea Point and was moved to Arthur Head before 1837. The house in the left background with the verandahs was the Harbour Master's house. Between it and the Residency is the second court house. Reproduced from "Twentieth Century Impression of W. A.", 1901. Taken before 1876.
The Residency is in the foreground of this February 1900 photograph (which is to be seen at its best as reproduced in Dowson 2003: 25) showing troops departing for the Boer War. FHC image #1797: 'Possibly troops departing for the Boer War. In front with the stone wall is the Residency and the Cliff Street Railway Station is behind it. In the right background is James Moylan, wine and spirit merchant of Henry Street. Just behind and to the right is the tower of Manning's Folly. Taken February 1900.' The path down which the girls in the foreground are running is now called Captains Lane; they are about to join the road now called Mrs Trivett Place. The photo was taken from the 1881 lighthouse, the second one, not the one in the photo at the top of this page.
This photo from about 1900 is Fremantle Library image #530, with this very informative caption.
View of Railway Yards and Eastwards over the city from the Lighthouse on Arthur Head. Note: 'The Residency' in left foreground. Appears on a plan dated 1856, built for the Water Police. 1867 occupied by Superintendent of the Water Police. c1900 - Chief Pilot's house. 1929 - Wharf Manager's house. Demolished March 1967.
Cliff Street railway station (1887) and goods yards. The station was an extension of the original 1881 station.
The Falk building corner Henry and Phillimore Streets [now the facade of Customs House, housing Cwlth Govt depts]. Originally built in 1888 and extended in 1896 and 1903 (around the corner into Phillimore Street). Architect F.W. Burwell. See: 725.35 Miscellany File.
Tower of Mannings Folly, corner of Pakenham and Short Streets, erected 1858 for Mr C.A. Manning. Demolished 1928.
Police Quarters, High Street (far right of photograph). Demolished to make way for Tramways Carbarn built 1905.
Rear of Samson Home, corner High and Cliff Streets. Demolished in the 1950s by Elder Smith.
Cliff Street facade and tower of Hotel Fremantle, High Street. Erected 1898 to designs by Wilkinson and Smith.
Bank of N.S.W., corner High and Cliff Streets (Lot 19). The building first appears in the rate records in 1899 as a Bank Chamber and 3 rooms. In use until 1926. From 1926 to 1960 the Swan Wool Scouring Company of W.A. Ltd. were the occupiers. 1974 to November 1983: Abrugiato Pty. Ltd. occupiers: December 1983 - Fremantle Gazette Newspaper offices. See: 725.24 Miscellany File.
Second courthouse on Arthur Head, built between 1851 and 1853. Demolished 1904.
Phillimore Chambers (1899) on corner Phillimore and Cliff Streets.
Roof of Abrugiato Pty Ltd, Cliff Street, next to Phillimore Chambers, built between 1892 and 1900.
Garry Gillard | New: 13 August, 2015 | Now: 21 May, 2020