Fremantle Stuff > buildings > Phillimore Chambers
1899, 7-11 Phillimore Street
Phillimore Chambers on the right, on the corner of Cliff Street, with Dock Buildings on the left.
Phillimore Chambers, 1899, at 7-11 Phillimore St and 2-4 Cliff St. Tenants included shipping companies. Designed by Wilkinson, Smith and Wilson, architects, 1899.
City of Fremantle notes
Statement of Significance
The place is of historic significance as an example of a commercial building in the Old Port City of Fremantle dating from the gold boom period in the late nineteenth and early twentieth century. The place is significant because, when viewed from the street, it is a substantially intact example of a commercial building which contributes to the very significant Old Port City of Fremantle. The place is of social significance as evidenced by its classification by the National Trust.
Designed by Wilkinson, Smith and Wilson, architects, 1899.
Currently (2002), various office and retail uses.
Two storey rendered and truncated corner building with a zero setback from the pavement. There is a highly decorative parapet and four decorative pediments; the name 'Phillimore Chambers' appears across the corner pediment and in an entrance aedicule in Phillimore Street. There are engaged pilasters dividing the building into bays. The ground floor has multi-paned transom lights above the windows; the first floor has decorative pilasters between double sash windows.
Heritage Council of WA
Garry Gillard | New: 26 October, 2019 | Now: 8 November, 2019