Fremantle Stuff > buildings > Music School
1897, 21 Parry Street, adjacent to the northern side of Queens Square; was the Fremantle Music School, now private dwelling?
According to the rate records a dwelling house appears on the lot in 1897. It was owned and occupied by Frederick D Sewell, a clerk. Harry and Toni Baker arrived in WA from Holland in 1953 bringing a caseful of musical instruments and the determination to set up a school. In the early 1960s they adopted 21 Parry St as the site of their music school. Before this it was also used as a boarding house.
Statement of Significance
The place is a good example of a two storey stone residence in the Federation Arts and Crafts style, representing the expansion of Fremantle in the gold boom period of the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. The place contributes to a substantially intact late nineteenth and early twentieth century streetscape close to the centre of Fremantle.
Two storey painted stone with brick quoining to the window openings of the building which has a hipped and gabled tiled (not original) roof and rendered chimney with corbelling intact. The verandahs which is supported by steel columns on the first floor and brick piers to the ground floor (supports not original) extends across the facade and returns down the south side. The building shows evidence of Federation Arts and Drafts style in its detailing.
Heritage Council page: notes by City of Fremantle (above)
Garry Gillard | New: 9 September, 2019 | Now: 8 November, 2019