Fremantle Stuff > buildings >
66-70 High Street
Mason's Building. Nos. 66-70 High Street, on the north-east corner with Pakenham Street. Architect: John McNeece. Builder: J. Anderson. This has been known as the former Commonwealth Bank Building, but the bank did not own the building until 1925. Part of the site (No. 66) appears to have been part of E.H. Fothergill's estate. From 1882 until 1921 the property was owned by Frederick Mason, alias May, a jeweller and entrepreneur. This two-storey building was built in 1908 as four shops with residences above. Its neoclassical style is ‘softened’ by the plump proportions of the engaged columns. Unfortunately, in 2005, one section of the facade was painted a different colour, disturbing its unity; the awning and shopfront for that section are not original.
Garry Gillard | New: 11 August, 2020 | Now: 11 August, 2020