Fremantle Stuff > buildings > Fire Station
Hutchison writes that the first fire station was on the corner of Mouat and Croke Streets. This photo clarifies which one. That's the Masonic Hall, Marine Terrace, in the background, so it's the SE corner. The site is now an NDU carpark.
The 'old' (second) fire station, 1908, was designed by Cavanagh & Cavanagh, and built by J. Lake.
Fremantle Fire Station (former), comprising two storey, rectangular building designed in the Federation Free Classical style and constructed 1908 has cultural heritage significance for the following reasons:
the place is of historic significance related to the important role of civic services and the Fire Brigade in particular, in the development of Fremantle and Western Australia;
the building is part of a suite of buildings that contribute to the urban and historic character of the Phillimore Street precinct, the loss of which would be detrimental to the scale and character of the precinct;
the building is a representative example of the architectural design of Cavanagh and Cavanagh, and is one of the fire stations of the bold boom period still extant in metropolitan Perth. (Heritage Council)
Foundation stone on the facade of the building
The current fire station, next door and to the east of the old one.
Hutchison, David 2006, Fremantle Walks, Fremantle Arts Centre Press.
Garry Gillard | New: 20 April, 2016 | Now: 26 April, 2020