Fremantle Stuff > Buildings > Charles Buildings
55 Queen Victoria Street
Two storey rendered building which has a decorative parapet where 'Charles Buildings' appears in stucco. The first floor has three arches with curved balconies with metal balustrades fronting the façade and accessed from the sets of timber framed French doors with multi paned fanlights above. There is an awning (not original) and recessed entrances to the shopfronts.
A shop and residence was constructed for George Frederick Charles at this site in 1929. Charles continued to own and occupy the place into the 1940s. In 1941-42 a cool store is noted at the site also, but it is not clear if this relates to this site or neighbouring 57 Queen Victoria Street. By 1952 he remained the owner, but the place was occupied by William James Louden. A milk depot is also noted at the rear of the site in this period.
This place was included on the list of heritage places in the City of Fremantle identified by the Fremantle Society in 1979/80. Heritage Council.
Heritage Council page for this building
Garry Gillard | New: 6 June, 2019 | Now: 8 November, 2019