Fremantle Stuff > banks >

Bank of Adelaide

1910, 64 High St

The 1910 Bank of Adelaide building, originally of two storeys, is on the northwestern corner of Pakenham Street at 64 High Street. With commercial premises on the ground floor, the Navy Club is now upstairs in the two-storey colorbond additions on top, straddling Nos. 62 and 60 as well. The Navy Club was previously in the Freemasons Hall in Marine Parade. The details of the original building include a crenellated cornice on the parapet and ashlar effect on the ground floor and engaged ashlar effect pilasters. Lot 105 was allocated in 1829 to Robert Thomson who built and operated the Stirling Arms, one of the first four pubs in the colony.

Heritage Council:
Built c1910.
Third and fourth storey addition proposed 1984; initially rejected by Council, however later approved, as seen in photographs dated 2002.
In 2011 the owner D Monk advised that the interior had been gutted and rebuilt for the America's Cup.
Currently (2013), various retail outlets on ground floor.
Original two storey rendered corner building with two storey Colorbond additions above. The original building has a crenelated cornice on the parapet and a truncated corner with ashlar effect. The ground floor has timber six paned windows in the top half, and engaged ashlar effect pilasters. The first floor has sash windows with decorative stucco architraves. No 60 & 62 are similar to the adjoining right-sided structure of the Buffalo Club and have awnings that are probably not original.
The place is historically significant as a former bank representing the development of Fremantle’s Old Port City as a centre of commerce and trade from the gold boom period of the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. The place is significant because, when viewed from the street, it is a substantially intact example of a commercial building which contributes to the very significant Old Port City of Fremantle. The place is of social significance as evidenced by its classification by the National Trust.

References and Links

Heritage Council.


Garry Gillard | New: 11 August, 2020 | Now: 11 August, 2020