Fremantle Stuff > Architects
Joseph Allen designed: Trades Hall, 1904, Collie St; the Strelitz Building 30 Mouat St; the Seppelts warehouse, 7 Pakenham St. His firm, Allen & Nicholas, designed: the Chamber of Commerce Building; the monument on Monument Hill; renovations to the P&O Hotel, 1930s; the Halco warehouse at 8 Pakenham St on the corner with Short St, where Manning's Folly stood, and where there is now a new apartment building behind what's left of the facade.
T. Anthoness designed: His Majesty's Hotel, 1890; the Wyola Club, 1903.
Hillson Beasley was the chief architect of the Public Works Department. He designed: the 'old' Customs House, 1908, Phillimore St; the Post Office, 1907, in Market St; the Technical College, 1925, cnr South Tce and Essex St.
F.W. Burwell designed: Owston's Building, 1903, 9-23 High St; the D&J Fowler Building at 38 Henry St; the Adelec building 28-36 High St; the Falk Building, cnr Phillimore and Henry Sts, 1896, 1903; Central Chambers, 1906, 61-63 High St; the King's Theatre, South Tce; the Freemasons Hotel (Sail & Anchor), 1903; the Victoria Pavilion Fremantle Oval, 1897.
Robin McKellar Campbell wrote a PhD dissertation on the construction of the Fremantle Prison.
Cavanagh & Cavanagh designed: the 'old' Fire Station (1908); the P&O Hotel, 1890s; the Orient Hotel, 1902; Manning Chambers, cnr High and Williams Sts, 1906; the Newcastle Club Hotel, Market St, 1898. Michael Cavanagh designed St Patrick's Basilica, 1900.
Marcus Collins designed these buildings for Notre Dame University: St Teresa's Library, Tannock Hall of Education, Health Sciences Research building.
Cox Howlett & Bailey Woodland designed the Maritime Museum, 2002
Herbert Nathaniel Davis designed: 1893 alterations and additions to the Pier Hotel at Cliff Street; converted premises in 1895 to form the first version of the Esplanade Hotel; the Lilly Building, 34-36 Cliff St, 1896; the Union Stores building on SE corner of Henry and High Sts for J&W Bateman (tho Hutchison has this as the work of J. McNeece); McDonald Smith Building, 22-32 Cliff St (Cliff Street Chambers); Tolley's warehouse, 1901, 1 Pakenham St.
Joseph Herbert Eales designed: the tramways barn at 1 High St; the Terminus Hotel; the Catholic Girls School; the Federal Hotel additions; St Paul's Beaconsfield, 1905. He also redesigned the Esplanade Hotel in 1903. Eales & Cohen designed the Swan Hotel, 1923.
Edmund Henderson 1821-1896, had a commission in the Royal Engineers, and was Comptroller-General of Convicts 1850-63. He also designed a large number of important public works, including: major parts of the Prison: the Gatehouse, the Main Cell Block Complex and the Prison Chapel, and more; his own house, the Knowle, the original Fremantle Hospital, still in its grounds.
J.J. Talbot Hobbs designed: Samson House, 1889; the Samson building in Cliff St, 1892; the Scots Presbyterian church, 1898; Victoria Hall, 1897; the Dalgety (Elder/Wilhemsen/MSC) building, 1902; the Dalgety (aka Samson) Bond Store, 1901; the Elder Shenton & Co Building, 37-45 Cliff St, now the home of local paper, The Fremantle Herald, on the corner of Croke Lane (formerly Dalgety St); and the NSW Bank, Mouat & High, 1899. His firm, Hobbs, Winning & Leighton, designed the Passenger Terminal (1962) and the Port Authority Building (1963) (at '1 Cliff St') on Victoria Quay.
J. McNeece designed: the Moore's building at 42-46 Henry St; the Union Stores Building, 41-47 High St (according to Hutchison; another source, J.J. Taylor, has Herbert Davis as the architect); Mason's Buildings (Commonwealth Bank), 66-70 High St, 1908; the Commercial Hotel, 1908, 80 High St; Atwell Buildings, 1895, High St (Mall), part of the Ajax Building, 1908, High St; Princess Theatre, 1912, 29-33 Market St.
Charles Lancelot Oldham designed: the Fremantle Markets, 1898, together with J.H. Eales, winning an award; the AUSNC building (known as the P&O building) at 17-19 Phillimore St; the McIlwraith Building (with Cox); Adelaide Steamship Building, 10-12 Mouat St (with Eales); the Esplanade Hotel, 1897; Bousfield's Building, 97-99 High St, 1897; Higham's Building, cnr Market & High Sts, 1893 (with Cox).
Henry Reveley designed the Round House, 1831, and supervised the construction of the Whalers Tunnel (1838) underneath it. Another of his buildings still exists in the Supreme Court Gardens, Perth: the Old Court House. He came to the Colony with Governor Stirling, and worked under his direction, as chief engineer.
William Edward Robinson designed the Union Bank (1889) which still stands at 4 High St.
George Temple-Poole (1856-1934) was the superintendent of public works in WA from 1885. As such, he designed: the Cliff St Post Office; southern extensions to the Asylum; South Fremantle Post Office, the Harbourmaster's house on Arthur Head.
William Ayshford Sanford, the Colonial Secretary, designed the original section of the Boys School, 1856, in Adelaide St. He arrived in the Colony in 1851 on board the Anna Robertson.
Murray Slavin designed the MSC building in Cliff St, 2016 (adjacent to the Dalgety Building, cnr Phillimore St, which is tenanted by MSC).
E.M. Deane Smith designed: the adjacent Tannatt Chambers and Cellars building, 8, 10 High St; Dock Buildings, 13-15 Phillimore St; the German Consulate (Tarantellas) in Mouat Street. ... Deane is often spelt Dean.
Edwin Summerhayes designed Princess Chambers, 1897, 21-27 Market St.
Wilkinson & Smith designed: the NSW Bank building, 1899, cnr High and Cliff Sts; Phillimore Chambers, 1899, at 11 Phillimore St and 2-4 Cliff St; the Bank of Australasia, 18 High Street. Wilkinson, Smith & Wilson designed the (second) Literary Institute (Evan Davies building), South Terrace, 1896.
Abbot & Rennie built the Moore's building at 42-46 Henry St.
Aslin & Warner built the 'old' Customs House, 1908, Phillimore St.
Atkins & Law built the Orient Hotel, 1902.
Blackman Bros. built the Victoria Pavilion Fremantle Oval, 1897.
Bradley & Rudderham built the Commercial Hotel, 1908, 80 High St.
James Brownlie built the Falk Building, cnr Phillimore and Henry Sts, 1896, 1903.
L. Burness built: the (second) Literary Institute (Evan Davies building), South Terrace, 1896; the King's Theatre, South Tce.
H.C.H. Carter built the Cleopatra Hotel, 24 High St, 1907.
C. Coghill built the Adelaide Steamship Building, 1900.
Robert Hannah built St Patrick's Basilica, 1900.
J.J. Harwood built: the (third) courthouse, Marine Parade; the Kerosene Store (Kidogo).
Kinnaird built the Fremantle Markets, 1898.
Richard Lewis built the Round House, 1831.
J. McCracken built the Adelec building, 28-36 High St.
C. Moore built the Princess Theatre, 1912, 29-33 Market St.
Petrie & Doig built the Scots Church, 1898.
Richard Rennie built: Central Chambers, 1906, 61-63 High St; the Tramways barn; Owston's Building, 1903, 9-23 High St; the National Hotel, 1895; five of the goods sheds on the wharf; Manning's Chambers, 1906, including the Majestic Theatre; the National Bank, 1887; part of Beaconsfield Primary; the Bushells factory; and four houses between Stirling and Ord Sts. He also rebuilt the Swan Hotel, 1923, and completed the War Memorial in 1928.
Reynolds built the Freemasons Hotel (Sail & Anchor), 1903.
Thomas William Whiteley built the Carroll house (now the Left Bank) in 1899-1900.
Hutchison, David 2006, Fremantle Walks, Fremantle Arts Centre Press. Much of the data in this page come from his book, which is much more than just a walking guide.
Taylor, John J., 'Herbert Nathaniel Davis (1867-1900)', Western Australian Architect Biographies.