4 September. The Fremantle Civic Library opened by JS Battye, State Librarian, in the the 1899 Literary Institute building at 13 South Terrace. The new Library came about partly a result of the efforts of Cr Evan Davies, and it was renamed the Evan Davies Library in 1956. The building was threatened with demolition in the 1970s and was only saved due to the work of members of the Fremantle Society.
Release of the Tydeman report recommending huge extensions to Fremantle Harbour including removal of both road and rail bridges. The road bridge is still there, tho the rail bridge was rebuilt further east.
Davidson, Ron & Dianne Davidson 2010, Fighting for Fremantle: The Fremantle Society Story, Fremantle Society: 45-49.
Ewers, John K. 1971, The Western Gateway: A History of Fremantle, Fremantle City Council, with UWAP, rev. ed. [1st ed. 1948]: 150.
Garry Gillard | New: 6 August, 2015 | Now: 21 August, 2015