Fremantle Stuff > Years > 1901
1 January. Commonwealth of Australia inaugurated.
26 March. Foundation stone of the Trades Hall in Collie Street laid by Sir John Forrest; the building opened 23 June 1904, by WH Carpenter, MHR, first Labor representative for Fremantle in the Federal Parliament.
26 July. Visit of the Duke and Duchess of Cornwall — later George V and Queen Mary. The Duchess, Princess Mary of Teck, named a school after herself: the Princess May Girls School, and the south wharf of the harbour Victoria Quay, after the queen.
Population 20,444, nearly treble the 7,077 of 1891.
Christian Brothers College opened. (Ewers: 177)
Ewers, John K. 1971, The Western Gateway: A History of Fremantle, Fremantle City Council, with UWAP, rev. ed. [1st ed. 1948].
Hitchcock, JK 1929, The History of Fremantle, The Front Gate of Australia 1829-1929, Fremantle City Council.
Garry Gillard | New: 11 August, 2015 | Now: 19 December, 2018