Fremantle Stuff > Port > Victoria Quay
Victoria Quay is the name given to South Wharf of the port in the Swan River at Fremantle during the reign of Queen Victoria - tho the name may be changed back to the original one. It was given that name by the Duchess of Cornwall and York (later Queen Mary) 26 July 1901 when she and the Duke visited.
Cargo sheds A-D are still on the wharf, with E Shed now functioning as a tourist market on the other side of the access road. J Shed has been moved to Arthur Head.
There is an Immigration Building of some heritage importance.
The Passenger Terminal is a large and significant building which is still used by cruise ships despite access to its eastern side being compromised by the area being mainly used for the temporary parking of imported motor vehicles.
The Maritime Museum is on the most western extremity of the wharf.
The Fremantle Ports building is very close to the southern wharf, tho it has the nominal street address 1 Cliff St.
See also: port.
Notes in Fremantle, the newsletter of the Fremantle Society: October 1994 (E Shed), August 1998, March 2004, August 2007, September 2008, March 2010, October 2014.
Garry Gillard | New: 13 May, 2016 | Now: 16 December, 2018