Named for Major-General Sir Harry St George Ord (1819-1885), who was Governor 1877-80. It was Ord turned the first sod of the Fremantle to Guildford Railway in 1879 or 1880.
Ord Street connects Hampton Rd with James St (at Finnerty St), and so is the major north-south thoroughfare through Fremantle, as Hampton Rd continues south towards Rockingham as Cockburn Rd, while at the northern end James St intersects with Queen Victoria St, which conveys traffic to the (old) Fremantle Traffic Bridge.
It was originally intended that It was originally intended that it was Stirling St that would join with James St (James Stirling having been the first governor of the colony), but it was decided not to make a road across Fremantle Park. Now Ord Street does the joining, a little to the east, and along the line of the edge of the level space which had been formed to make Fremantle Park. Above that line, further to the east, there is a rocky rise which still exists. That eastern area was originally part of Fremantle Park, but was resumed for educational purposes, and John Curtin College is now on the higher land.
To make Ord Street, it was necessary to obliterate what was formerly the grounds of the Asylum (now the Arts Centre).
FHC photo #ES00461, Murray Edmunds, 1968: Ord Street under construction. View looking north from Ellen Street. Shows the former Fremantle Lunatic Asylum (1861-1865, 1886-1896). Conservation work began in 1968 to convert the building to a Museum (opened 1970) and Arts Centre (opened 1972).
The portion of this road between Knutsford Street (formerly Hill Street) and Ellen Street (formerly John Street) was formerly Hampton Road.
Asylum Road, shown by dotted lines on the map, was the track that would have linked the Asylum to the Prison. Part of it was close to the alignment of present Ord Street. An Old Boy of Fremantle CBC said that, when he was a boy at the college, that road still existed, and the boys called it 'the goat track'. Ord Street was not laid down until the 1960s. Hutchison 2009.
Hutchison, David 2009, 'A history of Fremantle Park', City of Fremantle.
Garry Gillard | New: 10 August, 2017 | Now: 10 August, 2017