From the Heritage Council
From the nineteenth century, Harvest Road was important as an access route to Point Direction, the location of a sheltered landing place. Boat building yards were located at Point Direction for much of the twentieth century, during which time the Harvest Road jetty also became a popular family swimming and picnic area. Originally, Harvest Road began at Stirling Highway (then called Bruce Street), but from 1899 it was extended through to Queen Victoria Street (then called Victoria Street). Harvest Road has always been a predominantly residential street, developing steadily from the turn of the twentieth century, and characterised at least in its early decades as a place with a large number of rental properties. Three industries on the street were Purina (1935-55) and Nabisco (1955-88) cereal manufacturers (number 3-5), Rowlands Co Cordial, Wine and Spirits manufacturers (1908 to at least 1939, at number 11), and various marine industries, most prominently Browns Boat Building Yard (from c.1900), which was located between Corkhill (Elizabeth) Street and the River.
Turton House still stands at 25 Harvest Road, on the SE corner with Turton Street.
Hillcrest House, James Pearse's mansion, is on the opposite corner to the west, but is enveloped by the Regis North Fremantle Aged Care Facility.
Heritage Council page
Garry Gillard | New: 14 October, 2015 | Now: 13 October, 2016