Fremantle Stuff > Streets > Hampton Road
Hampton Road was originally called Prison Road. It derives its name from John Stephen Hampton (1810-1869), the Governor of WA from 1862-68. He was previously Comptroller of Convicts in Tasmania. His son, George Essex Hampton, was Acting Comptroller-General of the Fremantle Convict Establishment, May 1866-67.
(Hampton Street was also named for J.S. Hampton, but had its name changed to Alexander Road, and then Wray Avenue.)
James Moore Pioneer Park, on the corner of Lefroy Road, was developed during the 1930s with the assistance of labourers employed under the sustenance scheme. It is thus evidence of a period of time when unemployed men were offered work on landscape projects. Its proximity to Beaconsfield Primary School is evidence of the formation of a landscape punctuated with memorial trees planted by students at various times on Arbour Day.
James Moore Pioneer Park is located on a former 'tip' site. It was excavated, levelled and grassed in 1934. It was known as 'The Field'. On 14 September 1934, 22 trees were planted in the park. These trees were donated by Fremantle council and dedicated to the memory of pioneers in Western Australia. The place was included in the Heritage Study South Fremantle, prepared by John Taylor Architects, for the City of Fremantle, June 1993.
Heritage Council page
Garry Gillard | New: 16 May, 2016 | Now: 18 November, 2018