Fremantle Stuff > Streets > The Esplanade
See also: David Hutchison's Walk 3: The Esplanade and Boat Harbours.
The Esplanade is the name given to the land reclaimed 1902-03 from what used to be South Bay.
Photo 1912 courtesy Fremantle library image no. 1230A: The bandstand was built in 1906 after a competition organised by Council to beautify the Esplanade was won by an architect Mr J McNeece who was awarded 209 pounds and fifteen shillings. The opening took place on the 3rd or 4th of April 1906. The Esplanade Hotel is in the centre background with Daniel Scott's warehouses (c1850) next to it. They were used to house convicts before the Prison was built. On the corner of Marine Terrace and Essex Street is the Manning flat roofed house, built before 1880 and demolished April 1985. In front of the Hotel is the Hector McDonald drinking fountain, erected c1907 by public subscription to the memory of "Fighting Mac" who died in 1903.
Photo 1906 courtesy Fremantle library image no. 698: Strolling crowds at the Esplanade Reserve with the bandstand in the background. The Esplanade, approximately six acres, was reclaimed from the sea 1902/1903 and vested in the Fremantle Municipal Council in 1904.
David Hutchison's Walk 3: The Esplanade and Boat Harbours, Fremantle Walks.
Garry Gillard | New: 14 October, 2017 | Now: 17 February, 2019