In 1900 the girls shifted to the new school built on a site which had been reserved for the purpose in 1894. It received the name of the Princess May School in 1901, when the Duke and Duchess of Cornwall and York (later the King and Queen) visited Fremantle. Ewers, 109.
The girls 'shifted' from the Infants and Girls School in South Terrace. The Duchess Ewers refers to was to become Queen Mary, consort of George V. She was actually Princess Mary of Teck, but was known in the family as May, possibly because she was born in that month. Or not.
The building is at 18 Cantonment St in Princess May Park—which it shares with the Boys School and Clancy's Fish Pub—which used to be the Household Management Centre of the girls school.
Photo thanks to Steven Doig.
References and Links
Garry Gillard | New: 16 December, 2014 | Now: 27 August, 2016