On the corner of Hampton and Lefroy Rds, and up to McCleery St, the former school is now the Fremantle-Peel Education Office.
It contained the Senior (1894) and Infants (1898) Schools, and an open-air teaching pavilion (1913-14) associated with the theories of Maria Montessori. The Senior building was probably designed by George Temple-Poole. Part was built by Richard Rennie. Kim Beazley Sr, Education Minister in the Whitlam government, was a former pupil.
The modern Beaconsfield Primary School is on Hale St, above Maxwell St. It has a Rottnest campus at 14 Kelly St.
Heritage Council Register Entry
Beaconsfield is named after a property known as 'Beaconsfield', located in the area in the 1880s. The name was officially adopted for the Post Office in August 1894. The origin is unknown, but is probably from the English town [in Bucks] or after Prime Minister Benjamin Disraeli, created Earl of Beaconsfield in 1879. Heritage Council.
Garry Gillard | New: 16 December, 2014 | Now: 6 August, 2016