Fremantle Stuff > Post > Cliff St Post Office
The Cliff St Post Office, designed by George Temple-Poole, was opened in 1889 and was used until 1907 when the current Post Office in Market St came into service. It was, sadly, demolished in 1965, and has been merely a carpark ever since, now used by NDU students living in the former Sailors' Rest.
FHC image #559, c. 1905. The Post Office at Cliff Street was opened 10.08.1889. It was convenient for the mail steamers berthed nearby. Note the hitching rails; the notice boards with shipping intelligence on the right and tenders and postal notices on the left; the woman with the baby carriage. Use of this post office ceased when all post office business moved to Market Street in 1907. From 1911, the old post office was the offfice of the D. N. O. and the Naval Drill Hall until the establishment of H.M.A.S. Leeuwin at Preston Point. The building was demolished in July 1965.
On the right is the Cliff Street Post Office (opened 10.08.1889). Note the horse hitching rails and the notice boards for shipping news. On the corner of Croke Street is the Pier Hotel, with an advertisement for Port Brewery Ship Brand Pale Ale. The hotel was opened in 1873 and demolished in 1955. (Fremantle History Centre photo no. 604, c1903)
Dowson, John 2003, Old Fremantle, UWAP.
Ewers, John K. 1971, The Western Gateway: A History of Fremantle, Fremantle City Council, with UWAP, rev. ed. [1st ed. 1948].
Hitchcock, JK 1929, The History of Fremantle, The Front Gate of Australia 1829-1929, Fremantle City Council.
Hutchison, David 2006, Fremantle Walks, Fremantle Arts Centre Press.
Garry Gillard | New: 28 April, 2016 | Now: 17 November, 2018