Fremantle Stuff > Post > Beaconsfield PO
174 Hampton Rd, 1896, cnr Martha St
The Beaconsfield Post Office was built in 1896 by C Coghill at a cost of £1388/9/-. The architect was George Temple-Poole. The name changed on 1.04.1904. Post Office service ceased mid June 1984. FHC 1896 photo #1410 and caption.
South Fremantle Post Office, posted in Facebook 25 Jan 2016 by CoF, but it's FHC c1940 photo #4213, with this caption:
The Beaconsfield Post Office at 174 Hampton Road was built in 1896. It was renamed the South Fremantle Post and Telegraph Office on 1.04.1904 and continued to operate as a post office until June 1984. It was classified by the National Trust on 6.05.1985. In 1985 the building was used as an alternative school and in 1988 was converted into a medical clinic. Later it became residential. Note the telephone box in the front porch.
Former Beaconsfield/South Fremantle Post Office, 1896, 174 Hampton Rd. Photo thanks to Gordon, mingor.net.
In this 2016 Google Maps snap, the former PO has the business name Dorian (Engineering Consultants) on its front wall.
Dowson, John 2003, Old Fremantle, UWAP.
Ewers, John K. 1971, The Western Gateway: A History of Fremantle, Fremantle City Council, with UWAP, rev. ed. [1st ed. 1948].
Hitchcock, JK 1929, The History of Fremantle, The Front Gate of Australia 1829-1929, Fremantle City Council.
Hutchison, David 2006, Fremantle Walks, Fremantle Arts Centre Press.
Oldham, Ray 1988, bio of George Temple-Poole in ADB.
Garry Gillard | New: 28 April, 2016 | Now: 29 August, 2016