Fremantle Stuff > people > Daniel Scott
Daniel Scott (1800-1865), harbourmaster, was born in Liverpool, England, the son of Daniel Scott and his wife Janet, née Campbell. His father was a flagmaker for the navy and merchant service.
He arrived 5 August 1829 on the Calista, the second ship to bring passengers to the colony.
He invested in the Fremantle Whaling Company which paid for the construction of the Whalers Tunnel underneath Arthur Head. He was also a shipbuilder, and a lead miner.
It was his warehouse (where the main entrance of the Esplanade Hotel now stands) that accommodated the 75 convicts who were the first to arrive in 1850 on the Scindian.
He was granted: lots 11 and 12, on the western side of Cliff Street towards the southern end; lots 102 and 103 on the western side of Pakenham Street, between Leake Street and High Street; lot 152, which is the site of the warehouse mentioned above, now the main entrance of the Esplanade Hotel, on the corner of Essex St; and lot 267 in Beach Street - perhaps he had a house there. He also took one lot at Kingston, on Rottnest, but that township was never developed.
He had a substantial three-storey house on the NW corner of Cliff and High Sts (Neville 2007: 137) where the Union Bank building (1889) now stands as part of Notre Dame University.
He was Deputy Harbour Master from 1829, and then Harbour Master from 1839-1851.
He was the first chairman of the Fremantle Town Trust 1848-1851, 1853-1854, and 1856-1858.
In 1830 Scott married Frances Harriet Davis; they had eight daughters and three sons: Jane Frances Scott, Mary Ann Scott, Caroline Elizabeth (Scott) Elliott, Emma Maria Scott, Sophia (Scott) Fauntleroy, Louisa Jane Scott, Walter Scott, Katherine (Scott) [William Frederick] Samson, Julia (Scott) Mason and John Campbell Scott. He and Frances were 'married by Special License on board the ship Marquis of Angelsea, the Harbour Master's Office, this eighteenth day of March 1830 by me J. B. Wittenoom Chaplain of the Swan River ... in the presence of us Mary Ann Lamb John Okey Davis'. Mark Currie was Harbour Master (with Scott as Deputy) and was using the wreck of the Marquis of Angelsea, which had been carried onto Anglesea Point in a storm in 1829, and proved useful for many purposes.
The eldest son, Daniel Henry Scott (c. 1834-c. 1874), carried on his father's business; he married Caroline Samson, b. 1845, daughter of Lionel Samson, on 6 October 1870 in St John's, and having died aged 41 of 'debility' in 1874, was buried in Skinner St Cemetery 5 April by Rev. Bostock. Caroline has an impressive monument in the Jewish section of Fremantle Cemetery.
The headstone which was on the grave of Jane Frances (1831-33), the eldest daughter of Daniel and Frances, had been in use as a hearthstone in the cottage of the Gourley family in East Fremantle, and was discovered in about 1945. It is now on a plot at Anglican A142 in Fremantle, next to the memorial to Daniel Scott at Anglican A141. >
Recorded as dying at 65 of 'Fatty degeration of heart & enlargemt. liver', Daniel snr was buried 20 February 1865 by the Rev. George Bostock in the Skinner St Cemetery. I have no information as to his remains being reinterred in the new cemetery in Carrington St, nor that his gravestone or other monument was brought there. There is no such monument on the Heritage Trail.
Frances Scott died at 57 of 'change of life' and was interred 2 November 1865, only nine months after her husband's death, also by Rev. George Bostock in the Skinner St Cemetery.
Daniel Scott was the son of a flagmaker for both the royal and merchant navies. As a boy he ran away to sea and at 21 was Captain of a small cargo ship that traded between the Gold Coast in Africa and the Caribbean. During one voyage he rescued three men adrift in an open boat and was subsequently commended by the Royal Humane Society.
On 5 August 1829 he arrived in Fremantle on board the Calista, and was appointed Deputy Harbourmaster and Pilot for a salary of £100. He built his own jetty in Fremantle, and operated his own boats up and down the coast establishing critical trade routes for newly formed settlements. Captain Scott was also largely responsible for having the first sea-going vessel built in the colony of Western Australia, launching the Lady Stirling in May 1836.
An active leader in pressing for local government in Fremantle, he was elected as the first chairman of the Fremantle Town Trust in January 1848 and held the position three times over the next ten years. He was also an honorary member of the local volunteer company and he strongly supported the local Church of England. His religious convictions had been strengthened by his experiences as a young seafarer and he became a guarantor for the first Anglican church built in Fremantle (St John's).
In spite of all these time-consuming public and private activities Captain Scott continued to provide good service as Harbourmaster, often using his own boats and equipment for government duties. An injury to his arm gradually moved him away from pilotage duties, and he resigned his official position as Harbourmaster in February 1851. Fremantle Pilots website.
SCOTT, (Capt) Daniel, b. 1800 (Eng), d. 20.2.1865 (Frem), arr. 5.8.1829 per Calista, m. 18.3.1830 Frances Harriet DAVIS b. 2.10.1807 d. 2.11.1865 (Frem). dtr. of John Okey, she arr. per Lotus. Chd. Jane Frances b. 1831 d. 1833, Mary Ann b. 1832 d. 1903, Daniel Henry b. 1834 d. 1874, Caroline Elizabeth b. 1835 d. 1922, Emma Maria b. 1837 d. 1853, Sophia b. 1839 d. 1899, Louisa Jane b. 1841 d. 1919, son b. 1843 d. at birth, Walter b. 1844 d. 1865, Katherine b. 1846 d. 1941, Julia b. 1848 d. 1920, John Campbell b. 1850 d. 1851. Formerly master of a small cargo ship trading in West Indies. Frem. Harbour Master 8.1829 until resignation 2.1851. 1st Chairman Frem. Town Trust 1848-1851 & 1853-4 & 1856-8. Owned Mary Ann & Pelsart 1853. Promoted business in Geraldton: formed the Geraldton Smelting & Mining Co., which lapsed after his death. Member Frem. Bd. of Educ. 1861. JP 1855. Employed a T/L man 1863 at Frem. His widow employed 6 T/L men 1863- 1870 including 2 ostlers & a cook. (Erickson)
Erickson, Rica 1987, Bicentennial Dictionary of Western Australians, UWAP. Available online.
Hitchcock, J.K. 1929, The History of Fremantle, The Front Gate of Australia, 1829-1929, Fremantle City Council.
Hutchison, David 2007, 'Mystery of a headstone', FHS newsletter, Spring: 7-9. [The headstone is that of Jane Frances Scott - shown above.]
Neville, Simon J. 2007, Perth and Fremantle: Past and Present, privately published, WA.
Fremantle Pilots website
Garry Gillard | New: 22 June, 2015 | Now: 31 December, 2019