Charles Nixon (1870-1934) arrived in Western Australia in 1892. He was a prolific and influential photographer for many years, running his business from 7 William Street 1893-1934. He was commissioned by the City of Fremantle in 1929 to provide the photographs for J.K. Hitchcock's The History of Fremantle, 1929. Source: Dowson 2003: 12.
Nixon was in partnership with Henry Merrilees c. 1892-1902, after which he continued alone, dating the second photo (below) @ after 1902. This first c. 1898 photo of Nixon & Merrilees studio (taken by Nixon) is obviously earlier than the second, and is courtesy of John Dowson, who published it in 2003: 13.
Nixon's studio at 7 William Street became the Wrightsons barbershop from 1933. It's still there, but only just.
Dowson, John 2003, Old Fremantle: Photographs 1850-1950, UWAP.
Hitchcock, J.K. 1929, The History of Fremantle, The Front Gate of Australia, 1829-1929, Fremantle City Council.
Entry in Shelley Tonkin's 'History of WA Photography' blog for Charles Nixon.
Entry in Shelley Tonkin's 'History of WA Photography' blog for Nixon & Merrilees.
Garry Gillard | New: 11 February, 2016 | Now: 28 November, 2017