Fremantle Stuff > People > William Dalgety Moore (see also: Moores Building.)
W.D. Moore (1834-1910) was born in the colony in August 1835, to parents Samuel and Dora (nee Dalgety) who had arrived only the year before, in April 1834. Samuel's brother George Fletcher Moore had already arrived in 1830.
William Dalgety Moore was the eldest son of Samuel and Dora Moore. The couple arrived in the colony the same year William was born. As an adventurous lad of 15, Moore started work in the office of the Surveyor-General, John Septimus Roe. When he was 19 he ran a sheep and cattle station on the Irwin River and built up a good reputation for his dealings with the indigenous population.
In 1860 Moore married Susanna Monger, daughter of the York merchant, J. H. Monger. Susanna died in the year she had her 12th child. His second wife, Annie Gallop, had seven children.
Moore’s business career expanded rapidly, as did his building program in Henry Street. He also built the Phoenix Flour Mill in Nairn Street; engaged in large-scale pearling at Shark Bay; in timber-cutting in the South West; and farming at Gingin.
Moore earned a high standing in the community. He was elected to represent the town in the semi-elective Legislative Council; was the first Treasurer of the Fremantle Town Council (1871); and first president of the Fremantle Chamber of Commerce (1873-95). In 1899 Moore arranged for several of his company buildings in Henry Street to be unified behind a handsome façade. This Fremantle landmark is now known as the Moores Building. MCB.
William Dalgety Moore was a nephew of George Fletcher Moore, who came to the colony in 1829, and whose interesting book Ten Years of the Early History of Western Australia  afforded some fascinating glimpses of the colonial life in the remote past. Born at Middle Swan in 1835, he [WD] entered into business as a general merchant in 1862, and his name was identified with many large commercial enterprises in the colony. In 1870, when the semi-elective Legislative Council was reconstituted, [WD] Moore was chosen as one of the two elected members to represent Fremantle in that chamber, his colleague being Edward Newman. He was the first president of the Fremantle Chamber of Commerce, which was inaugurated in 1873, and continued to fill that office until 1895. Moore was always foremost in any project tending to the prosperity of his native State. (Hitchcock: 106.)
WD Moore owned the Woodside Estate which was the land between what are now Allen and Petra Sts. Woodside is now the name of the SE ward of the Town of East Fremantle, and contains the sites of the former Woodside Hospital at 18 Dalgety St (Moore's own house), the East Fremantle Football Club, and the former Richmond Raceway.
Plaque at Moore's gravesite in Fremantle Cemetery: it's on their Heritage Trail.
Moore family gravestone in Fremantle Cemetery: WD is mentioned at the bottom.
The first photo above is from Wikipedia. The second is of William Dalgety Moore (1834-1910; seated) and his brother Samuel Joseph Fortescue Moore (1846-1921; standing) from the Battye collection, which records it as having been taken by Alfred Kirk Chopin (1846-1902) in Fremantle 8 July 1873 (as recorded on the reverse). The image is stamped 'Alfred Choppin'. The photo of the Moore brothers appears on the official MCB Heritage Trail of Fremantle Cemetery - but incorrectly labelled as showing Bateman brothers John and Walter. I've informed the MCB but they did not even bother to reply, let alone fix it.
Hitchcock, JK 1929, The History of Fremantle, The Front Gate of Australia 1829-1929, Fremantle City Council: 106.
Garry Gillard | New: 17 January, 2015 | Now: 7 February, 2019