James Manning was the Clerk of Works who arrived on the Scindian 1 June 1850 with Edmund Henderson, Comptroller-General of Convicts, and Thomas Dixon, Superintendant of Convicts, and the first group of convicts.
James Manning was born in 1814, qualified as a civil engineer and worked in the general building industry before joining the Ordnance Department as a foreman in 1847. From there he transferred to the Fremantle Convict Establishment in 1850. While providing services to the army, Ordnance Department personnel remained civilians. As the Establishment wound down from 1868 Manning remained in WA and worked on the in the Royal Engineers Office and as manager of the Fremantle Works Department until his retirement in 1872. Campbell: 2.2.
Hitchcock, J.K. 1929, The History of Fremantle, The Front Gate of Australia, 1829-1929, Fremantle City Council: 33.
Garry Gillard | New: 20 July, 2017 | Now: 28 October, 2017