Lt-Colonel Edmund Henderson KCB, 1821-1896, had a commission in the Royal Engineers, and was Comptroller-General of Convicts 1850-63, having arrived on board the barque Scindian, with the first convicts and the Enrolled Pensioner Force.
He designed the original parts of Fremantle Prison - notably the gatehouse - and the Asylum. The Knowle, now part of Fremantle Hospital, was designed by him and built as his family home. Henderson St is named after him.
This Romantic painting of Perth (Mt Eliza on the left, Point Belches on the right) was done about 1861 by Henderson, who was clearly an accomplished part-time painter. The photo of the painting, as exhibited in the 'Out of the West' show at the National Gallery in March 2012, was published in The Australian newspaper.
After his return to England, he was Home Office Surveyor-General of Prisons from 1863 to 1869, and Commissioner of Police of the Metropolis, head of the London Metropolitan Police, from 1869 to 1886.
Birman, Wendy 1972, Bio in ADB.
Campbell, Rob 2017, Henderson & Coy, Royal Engineers & the Convict Establishment Fremantle, WA, 1850-1872.
Conole, Peter nd, Bio of Henderson at the WA Sappers and Miners site.
Conole, Peter & Diane Oldman, 'Edmund Henderson: Comptroller-General of WA Convicts', Western Ancestor, vol. 13, no. 5 March 2016.
Cullity, Olimpia 2016, 'Reform and punishment: Fremantle Prison, 1850 to 1891', Studies in Western Australian History, 31: 63-79.
Webb, David & David Warren 2005, 'Edmund Henderson, from Fremantle Prison to Scotland Yard', in Fremantle: Beyond the Round House, Longley, Fremantle: 80-81.
Entry for Henderson at the WA Sappers and Miners site (Diane Oldman).
Garry Gillard | New: 17 June, 2015 | Now: 15 April, 2018