Hitchcock records that Anthony Curtis was granted town lots 381 and 385 - nothing else.
Anthony Curtis was licensee of the Stag's Head Hotel (extant in 1844), was on Lot 106, which was on the SW corner of Pakenham and High Streets. It was opened in December 1833 by him (he formerly ran the Black Swan (Graham). The building now on the corner is known as the Ajax Building. If he died in the colony, the record of Curtis's death is apparently missing.
Hitchcock, JK 1929, The History of Fremantle, The Front Gate of Australia 1829-1929, Fremantle City Council.
Tuckfield, Trevor 1971, 'Early colonial inns and taverns', Early Days: Journal and proceeedings of the Royal Western Australian Historical Society, 7, 3: 65-82; Part 2, Early Days: Journal and proceeedings of the Royal Western Australian Historical Society, 7, 7: 98-106.
Allen Graham has been researching Fremantle hotels since 1982. There is a map compiled by him in the Fremantle Library collection showing Fremantle hotels 1829-1857.
Garry Gillard | New: 27 February, 2018 | Now: 28 February, 2018