William Congdon (1800?-1865) came from Gravesend to Fremantle in April 1853 with his wife Sarah Ann. He was the first dispenser of medicine at the Convict Establishment. His son Daniel Keen Congdon was to become Mayor of both Fremantle and North Fremantle and a Member of the Legislative Council of WA.
This gravestone stands on the Heritage Trail in the centre of Fremantle Cemetery. The operational cemetery in 1859 and 1865 was the one at Skinner St, so the Congdons' remains would still be there, under the John Curtin playing fields. Only this stone would have been brought here in the 1930s after the closure of the older cemetery in 1899.
Garry Gillard | New: 29 September, 2015 | Now: 16 November, 2016