John Butler was not a Fremantle person, but rates a mention as the proprietor of the Halfway House (Bush Inn) on the Perth-Fremantle track, which was licensed to trade from April 1830. He arrived with his wife and children and brother Archibald on the Skerne, January 1830, and was granted the 250 acres of Swan location 84 at Freshwater Bay (now Peppermint Grove), the land bounded by the present Forrest, McNeil and View Streets and the river, including Butler's Hump aka Keane Point. (The inn may or may not have been on the site of the present Albion Hotel.) The inn was near enough to the river to be a stopping-off for river traffic as well.
Tuckfield, Trevor 1971, 'Early colonial inns and taverns', Early Days: Journal and proceeedings of the Royal Western Australian Historical Society, 7, 3: 65-82; Part 2, Early Days: Journal and proceeedings of the Royal Western Australian Historical Society, 7, 7: 98-106.
Williams, A.E. 1984, Nedlands: From Campsite to City, City of Nedlands.
Garry Gillard | New: 7 March, 2018 | Now: 7 March, 2018