Fremantle Stuff > Fremantle Park
Fremantle Park was established in 1879 for the use of the people of Fremantle.
Fremantle Park is now bordered by Ellen, Parry and Ord Streets, tho the reserve originally extended all the way up to East Street, and included what are now the Arts Centre and John Curtin school. Department of Defence requisitioned some of it, and then so did the Education Department. The Council's Leisure Centre (swimming pools) occupies a section of it.
Tennis and Bowling clubs are in the Parry/Ellen St corner, while most of the rest of what remains of the original grant is a playing field, also used occasionally for events like 'music festivals'. Those two clubs, together with the Workers Club, will make use of the Fremantle Park Sport and Community Centre from 2019 or later.
Here is some of the history of the park.
The Fremantle Park Sport and Community Centre will provide new club facilities for the Tennis, Bowling, and Workers Clubs in historic Fremantle Park. It will be governed by the Fremantle Park Sport and Community Board.
It is now expected that construction may not commence until late 2018, with the opening expected in October 2019. The new two-storey building will occupy what is now the bowling green immediately to the Ellen St side of the present Bowling Club building (the Samson Pavilion), with the main entrance from Ellen St.
Garry Gillard | New: 21 June, 2016 | Now: 4 June, 2018