There have been two railway stations in Fremantle, one of which remains, and also a railway workshops complex - which was re-established at Midland Junction in 1895 because the land on which the workshops stood was required for harbour facilities.
The first railway station. See also the 'Residency' for more photos. Construction of the railway line began in 1879, and was formally opened by Governor Robinson 1 March 1881.
The current railway station with its white swans. See also the page for the railway station. The building is at the end of Market Street on the site where a market was intended (in the 1830s) to stand, but it was never established.
This 1888 photo shows the 1881 railway station on what used to be The Green - to the left of the photo - with workshops adjoining.
Hitchcock, J.K. 1929, The History of Fremantle, The Front Gate of Australia, 1829-1929, Fremantle City Council.
Garry Gillard | New: 17 March, 2018 | Now: 17 March, 2018